• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear bumper pictures

Preacherboy

Does anyone have any pictures from underneath a hmmwv...I'd like to see all of the brackets and how it mounts up to the frame and such.

I recently purchased a rear bumper from Jack's in Tuscon (great guy!) He had some other parts there and I probably should have bought them too...

I am mounting it on my 1998 Suburban and I want to set it up totally military (with even the military electrcial hookup) so that I can pull my m101a2 trailer around (I'll be running LED lights so the whole thing will be 12 volt still).

I will keep my reese hitch as is to pull regular things, but will pull the a2 with the bumper mounted pintle hitch military style.

Any pictures, advice, ideas would be appreciated!

TedG

The -24P is very good to look at.

Here is a setup prior to painting. Bumpers are cheap and easy to find, all the brackets take time and $. Good luck!

Attachments

Preacherboy

Jack had an entire 10' long bin full of parts! I had to dig to the bottom to get to a bumper (he had probably 6 more). I should have gotton the L brackets that are on the inside of the frame in Ted's picture while I was there. He probably had everything I would have needed right there. Except no d-rings and he wanted $75 for a rotating pintle hook (my dad had one on the m332 he scrapped!!!)

Guess I should have taken a picture of the bin and then we could have seen what I needed!

Ted, your picture with the "A" frame sort of looking thing in between the frame that goes to the pintle hook (I think)...he had something similar there, but it was boxed in and a lot heavier duty than what you have there.

cjtroutt and I will probably have a lot of fabricating to do anyway, even if I had every bracket to fit it on my 98 Suburban.

Preacherboy

My in-laws surprised me by hauling the bumper all the way from Tuscon in their HHR! It barely fit and I didn't even want to ask them...it was my 30th birthday so I guess that was a good present.

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jack had an entire 10' long bin full of parts! I had to dig to the bottom to get to a bumper (he had probably 6 more). I should have gotton the L brackets that are on the inside of the frame in Ted's picture while I was there. He probably had everything I would have needed right there. Except no d-rings and he wanted $75 for a rotating pintle hook (my dad had one on the m332 he scrapped!!!)
Where, in Tucson, did you find the bumper and brackets? I am looking for same and happen to be in Tucson today.

Thanks. -Economist.

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dropped by Jack's place on Friday. I picked up a bumper, misc brackets and an front winch plate. Once I got home, I understand a bit better on the brackets. He did not have all that were needed. I may be ordered up a few that I still need. Did you find a good source for used ones?

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To bad I didn't know you needed some brackets....I was in Tx. last week, the guy had all eight.
I do have a complete set with bumper available in So. Cal.
Greg

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wish I would have caught you. I did end of buying a bumper from Jacks. He is quite a character. I was still in my suit from trial, and he had me climbing up in dumpsters with him. Great guy.

In any event, I took Preacherboy's advice and grabbed some brackets from the bin. I was going off of Ted's photos and think I ended up with a fair amount of them. I am going to lay all the pieces and bumper out and see if I have the right parts.

I am still trying to figure out how the pioneer kit is able to stay in there.

Thanks. -Economist.

TedG

Economist,

Rear cross member uses the same pivot bracket for both setups. The only differences are the L Shaped brackets are relocated and new brackets need to be added between the rack and latches. I have pictures but not with me. On the g503, there is a picture I post a while back of the bracket.

Regards,

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ted,

I looked through the last 100 or so of your posts. I did not see the photo you mentioned. Sorry to trouble you, but can you point me in the right direction (which build, which time frame). Your prolific work makes this task a bit more challenging.

Many thanks,
-Economist.

TedG

G503...M1038 Arrives page 5 shows a picture of the L bracket attached to the rack.

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excellent. I am starting to get the vision. On the same page, you have a photo of 2 different versions of the bumper to frame mounts (1 thin and 1 thick). Do you need to step up the bracket thickness to handle the weight of the bumper?

I purchased some from Jacks, but they look more like the thinner version.

Thanks again,
-Economist.

TedG

Pictures of the original tool bracket clip and the relocating of it to use with airlift bumper.

The mount on the inner braces needs to be located on the upper location. The angle brackets allow for the latch to line up with the mount. The factory angle brackets are tall and hit the inner brace to prevent shovel from hitting the outer brace. I make my own and leave them short so that the shovel is pressed up against the out brace to prevent rattling. Hope it helps.

Attachments

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many thanks for all the pictures. That helps a TON. I was able to get the bumper on over the weekend. The outside braces went on fine. The inner ones were a bit more tricky. I will give it another run with the insight from your pics.

Again, many thanks.
-Economist.

TedG

Your welcome.

The inner braces have slots on both ends. When installing new rear bumpers and all brackets, it is best to losely fit every piece and then tighten the frame brackets to the frame first. Then level and tighten bumper to frame brackets. Then tighten pintle assembly to bumper and inner braces. Then out braces at bumper. Finally, tighten inner and outer braces at frame rails. Clear as mud?!

I might add, that this is also the best time to fit mudflaps and rear tire carrier (at the beginning).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks