• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rear bumper tire carrier questions

vitamink

Hello all,

I plan on buying a rear tire carrier. I know of Rhino and Ibis Tek. Are there any others? I know that Ibis Tek recently released a new model.

ibis2.jpg

Does anyone know where to get one without signing up for a 2 year contract with the military? If not, i think i like the Rhino better than the older version Ibis Tek. I also plan on towing a m1101/2 trailer and i hear that some tire carriers get in the way of the surge brakes or something. I know there is a modification piece that looks like it extends the hitch out or you can get a newer bumper that drops the hitch down. I'm hoping to find one of the newer bumpers. Any ideas where to go? Thanks for all the help in advance.

DSO_351

Which rear bumper do you have? The shelter pintle extension bolts onto an airlift bumper. This works with Rhino racheting spare tire carrier. AM General has a couple civilian tire carriers too.

vitamink

I don't have one at all which is my dilemma. Not mine, but this is what the rear looks like currently
p09.jpg I was hoping to add a bumper and a tire carrier but i hear there are different versions. I just want to do it right from the start and save me money and such. I really like the picture i posted at the top, but i haven't seen that model for sale.

dilvoy

your foto is showing the latest, as far as I know, IBISTEK Tire carrier. Still has the silly cable and crank handle spool, but other than that, it seems good. IT holds the tire more centered and higher so it does not seem to interfere with hitching up a military trailer with surge brake and it doesn't block the right tail light. Probably costs over $2,000. Call them and get a price. I prefer the Rhino Lift tire carrier. It's heavy, but it's TACOM approved and it's not a hand pincher.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it an airlift bumper i need then to mount a tire carrier?
You need the airlift bumper with all eight brackets to mount a tire carrier...especially the Rhino.
I might have a line on those eight brackets when I go to Texas next week.

vitamink

I'll have to look for one of those airlift bumpers. Like i said, i heard there were two models and the latest lowered the hitch a few inches or something. I'm sure one will pop up for sale.

dilvoy

I'll have to look for one of those airlift bumpers. Like i said, i heard there were two models and the latest lowered the hitch a few inches or something. I'm sure one will pop up for sale.
The Rhino Lift actually went through TACOM Testing and was attached to Humvees when they shipped from AMG. Others may have an NSN and could have been bought by units and attached to their Humvees by them, but as far as I know the Rhino is the only one that came with Humvees. So it's just like the Jeep from WWII. It's Ok if it's an original part or if you have some documentation that the particular modification or item was used in theater. Battle field modification or Dealer installed for collectors cars are the catch frazes. OK means collectors who are stuffy and opinionated can't say "that's not correct" and feel superior. If you like a particular tire carrier for whatever reason, put it on and move on from there. You can always unbolt it later and put on a different one and even put the same one back on. A Humvee is never done!

vitamink

Update, i contacted Ibistek via email and they sent me a brochure but no buying advice or pricing. I did find a reference to what i'm talking about with the lower hitch to clear the tire carrier.

This is from an ebay seller

NOTE: this will be perfect for you with IBIS TEK can holder and tire carrier as no modifications are needed to the bumper as the IBIS TEK bumper was already made with a lower positioned hitch housing

vitamink

There are a few listed on the popular auction site currently. My goto guys for parts are 86humv and beltfed. The only pita is finding all of the mounting brackets for the bumper.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll be in Texas in a week and plan to get some more A1 bumpers and brackets.
Never herd of an A2 aluminum bumper....there were ao/a1 way back....steel is the only way to go.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are aluminum airdrop bumpers, but they were only used on a small number of HMMWV's trying to keep weight down. (Avengers I seem to recall)

ClarkeF

I have one of those Aluminum rear air-lift bumpers. Looks exactly like the steel airlift - with same dimensions and thickness to the eye - just doesn't weigh nearly as much... Nice!

Action

There is a small bracket that holds the Rhino in place while stowed. A taller version was made available to allow the stock hitch to be used. I towed an m1102 with my Humvee and a Rhino tire carrier with 37" tire/rim on it. No issues. I did use the taller bracket. 86humv may have more of those brackets.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks