• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear canvas question

sargentwolf

Hey all. Quick question, how long are the metal parts of the rear canvas when broken down as far as they can go?

Ive found one in missouri, but need to make a decesion to either drive the jeep or LMTV to get it. Hoping for both my fuel budget and sanity I can take the jeep...

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Version 1 or 2? 2 yes, 1 has the huge hoops that are as wide as the truck bed (96") and I think about 5' tall.

coachgeo

Hey all. Quick question, how long are the metal parts of the rear canvas when broken down as far as they can go?

found one in missouri, but need to make a decision to either drive the jeep or LMTV to get it. Hoping for both my fuel budget and sanity I can take the jeep...
believe the bow storage is inside bed on front wall so they must be at least just shy of 8' long each since the bed is 8' wide. Still though, no reason you can't go buy some pool noodles or some water pipe insulation tube to protect Vinyl top and lash them to the roof of your Yeep. If you can do it day time it is still warm enough to put top down and lash them to Roll Bar to make tieing them down much easier.

With top down if you had to maybe you could stand up looped sections by putting a verticle tube down into front floor board... the horizontal tube run over the roll bar and the opposite end verticle tube hanging off back; maybe?

Last edited:

sargentwolf

I only have the fleabay pics of the frame and canvas. So no idea, but guessing a newer kit?s-l1600.jpg

And I dont have the fun jeep. I have the new Cherokee.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Version 1 or 2? 2 yes, 1 has the huge hoops that are as wide as the truck bed (96") and I think about 5' tall.
Those curved top pieces are the hardest to deal with. They are the width of the truck bed and come down the sides just a little. All the other pieces are just straight poles that can be bundled together nicely.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a little hard to tell from the pictures, but does that frame have one piece hoops? My cargo frame breaks down so the legs come off the top bows. Does your Cherokee have a roof rack? Put the hoops on the roof rack, with legs hanging down. Turn them so the legs are closer to the body of the Jeep. If you are worried you could wrap the legs with towels or something. Save some money on fuel that way :)

sargentwolf

It LOOKS like it does.

Throwing up an ad on craigs to see if anyone needs anything hauled down there. Help pay for fuel

Speaking of which, anyone need anythign hauled from stl to springfield or back? :D

sargentwolf

So snagged the canvas today. The seller is AWESOME and thinking about getting into the LMTV/MTV breaking business. Hes got a 5 acre lot around his home covered in surplus stuff. Dunno if it breaks the rules about posting sellers names from fleabay so PM for his name.

He sells tents and other stuff on ebay all time. Been doing it for 9 years now I think? Hes also got MKT's and other trailers floating around. When I mentioned that one of my LMTV backrests was messed up, he snagged one for me for free!

The canvas poles btw broke down so far that I didnt even have to flip the passanger front seat down in the jeep. LMTV wouldnt start this morning so took a chance on the jeep and it all fit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks