• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear differential axle gasket

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which gasket? the axle(8 bolt holes and round) or the diferential cover gasket?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, most guys just use rtv. Sorry, I don't have a number or source for that gasket.

Wolf.Dose

Ever made it myself from gasket paper (Abil Papier 0.25 mm), even it is available in Germany at the well asorted spare part shop for US cars. If the guy knows its job, he even does not need a VIN, he just gives you the right part.
However, for stock parts in the NAPA shop the M1009 and simelar is to old. But GM should still have them available.
Wolf

Milkman357

Autozone and Advance and Napa no gasket!

I have a M-1009. Ultra black Sealant left me leaking. As a poor mechanic I need a Gasket...

Napa sent me home with wrong one....It was only one listed for vehicle....

Advance and Auto Zone no gasket.....They could order one.....

Now I'm off to Chevy dealer who has terrible hours..... I would like one of those re usable gaskets....but dont know where to look.

I thought this part stuff would be easy.....Is there a place that has one stop shopping for my M-1009?

kennyw

It is just a 10 bolt axle that uses the same cover and gasket for the front and rear axles in all Chevy 1/2 ton trucks from 1982-87...

I think I have a 10 bolt Napa gasket in my garage somewhere that I have never used. It is always easier and less hassle to just use RTV when I'm working on that sort of thing. Just make sure the surfaces are clean of oil before applying RTV.

Milkman357

you would think...

Ya you would think, with all the trucks of that type on the road still it would be easy to find the gasket.

Chevy dealer said they could get one Tuesday..

So I bought a roll of gasket material.... Now I can make 6 + gaskets for the price of $17.

Everybody says RTV it. Well over my 20 years of playing with cars RTV has been a temporary solution. It always ends up leaking again. I have had to redo Auto shop RTV jobs several times.... As long as it doesn't leak in the shop it is considered a success.

My guess is MASTER Mechanics have no problems. But weekend warriors need a gasket. THIS IS MY OPINION.

I had to scrape the old gasket from my differential cover. Apparently the National Gaurd of Missouri thinks it needed a gasket.

Also, apparently the M-1009 differential is different than other civilian trucks because the gasket for those trucks is oval. At least that was what NAPA gave me. My rear end is Round!

kennyw

Also, apparently the M-1009 differential is different than other civilian trucks because the gasket for those trucks is oval. At least that was what NAPA gave me. My rear end is Round!
Nope, no difference if it is the original axle. The oval 10 bolt is a 7.5" ring gear (S10 and car applications) while the nearly round, but slightly oval 10 bolt has an 8.5" ring gear and was only used in the trucks.

Axle Identification Chart

Last edited:

ragedracer

Everybody says RTV it. Well over my 20 years of playing with cars RTV has been a temporary solution. It always ends up leaking again. I have had to redo Auto shop RTV jobs several times.... As long as it doesn't leak in the shop it is considered a success.
Then you're doing it wrong. I'm an offroader. I change my gear oil at least 4-5 times a year (due to water crossings, etc). I've never ever used a gasket, and I've never ever had a leak. There are a few things you might be doing wrong. Too much RTV, not enough RTV. Are you 'circling' the bolt holes? Are you putting the RTV on the cover or on the differential? Are you cleaning all of the oil off until the metal is dry? Are you putting the bolts on only finger tight, letting it sit for an hour, then torquing it down?

Then NAPA screwed up. A 10 bolt is a 10 bolt is a 10 bolt. Maybe they gave you a gasket for a Ford 10 bolt, which IS oval.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a pair of 10 bolts out of my suburban. I'm pretty certain that they take different gaskets.
In my case 10 bolts can be different.

Milkman357

good point

" I'm an offroader. I change my gear oil at least 4-5 times a year ."

Very good point...you change the RTV every 3 months.....the RTV never has to hold a seal for very long.

I dont plan on changing oil maybe every 3 years. BTW the last RTV job i did correct did last about 3 months.....

ragedracer

I was talking about 10 bolts specifically. However, I change the gear oil in my other trucks as well. My 01 Dodge Ram has ~15,000 miles and ~1 year with only an RTV seal. No leaks. My 02 Dodge Ram has ~11,000 miles and ~2 years with only an RTV seal. No leaks.

I'm not sure what I'm doing differently, but I don't know anyone that has problems with RTV seals leaking unless they are doing something wrong.

ragedracer

I have a pair of 10 bolts out of my suburban. I'm pretty certain that they take different gaskets.
In my case 10 bolts can be different.

What year Suburban? The only difference I've ever heard of is ring-gear size. But then they aren't really 10-bolts. They still have 10 bolts, but they are not a "10 Bolt", if that makes any sense.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The axles came out of a 91 Suburban. Honestly, I've never seen any 10 bolt fronts that share the same cover design as a 10 bolt rear.

Milkman357

My point

My original point is this....

If you desire a gasket you can find them.....But its hard. I made mine, and have plenty of gasket paper left over for other projects.

I don't want some one thinking RTV is the only option. 90% or more people just use RTV. I have never been one to do something just because others are doing it. I like to prove it to myself.

If I went along with crowds I'd own a Jeep Not a M-1009 military Blazer......

Nothing wrong with Jeeps.....they are great! I like my Blazer......so do my Kids.

Use RTV......If your not a master mechanic I'm saying you might be doing one job twice.... My point has been clearly made. I'm moving on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks