• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear differential lock/unlock

TroyHog

Hey guys - I put a digger derrick on my M923A1 - 1984 vintage - before there was no problem with the rears binding - but now with the added weight of the unit - it's complaining in a turn on hard surfaces. Im guessing the unit at around 10,000 lbs.

Is there any practical way to divide the rears?

Just making sure that Im not missing something. I can not find anything on a rear divider switch in the TM's.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
That is the rear suspension doing its job. The inside tire on the the turn on the front tandem should tuck under and the rear outside tire on the rear axle will tuck in. Just try not to make too sharp of a turn while loaded you will bust torque rods, especially if they are dry rotted.

Your leaf springs should shift side to side in the saddles on the axle. You should not have any binding unless you have different sizes tires. If the rear axle tires are worn lower than the front tandem tires they will fight, especially at highway speeds. There is no power divider on these axles to engage and disengage the front tandem. There is a version avail on the civilian third members for the 5 ton axle.

TroyHog

That is the rear suspension doing its job. The inside tire on the the turn on the front tandem should tuck under and the rear outside tire on the rear axle will tuck in. Just try not to make too sharp of a turn while loaded you will bust torque rods, especially if they are dry rotted.

Your leaf springs should shift side to side in the saddles on the axle. You should not have any binding unless you have different sizes tires. If the rear axle tires are worn lower than the front tandem tires they will fight, especially at highway speeds. There is no power divider on these axles to engage and disengage the front tandem. There is a version avail on the civilian third members for the 5 ton axle.
Thanks - I said binding - probably the movement and shifting that I am feeling/hearing -I'm sure she's built to take it - I just do not like to abuse my equipment if I can help it. I'll try and baby her.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My neighbor has a Navy M925A1 with Detroit lockers that binds a little in turns.
The drill rig was removed and painted white before he said he wanted it, so they put the drill rig back on the truck when it was sold to him.
I am just storing it for him.
Also it is for sale if you need a 2nd rig.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thanks - I said binding - probably the movement and shifting that I am feeling/hearing -I'm sure she's built to take it - I just do not like to abuse my equipment if I can help it. I'll try and baby her.
it may feel like a bind but keep in mind your whole drivetrain is shifting under the hard turn. Unless the tire is skipping or trying to hop or lock down on the turn then its fine.

You could have a brake wedge sticking and the brake to not be fully released either . I have seen that happen where just one brake is stuck and on a turn to that side the increased friction can feel like a bind.

Lukes_deuce

With 10k on the truck, you shouldn't have any problems. That's what their rated for in the worst case. I routinely put 17k to 18k on mine and have no binds or weird noises. Maybe a little tire scrubbing on a hard turn up a hill but nothing out of the ordainary. These trucks will flex more than standard over the road trucks. You shouldn't have any real binding going on. Check the torque rods and make sure your axles are centered when going straight.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The more weight I put on mine the more creaking and popping I get while turning or going through rough off road situations, but I think this is normal.

TroyHog, check to make sure your airlines on your transfer case are connected properly, there where quite a few of these trucks that lines got switched causing the front to stay engaged all the time. This will cause some driveline binding and add a few feet to your turning radius.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks