• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rear dog bones?

SuperJoe

first i would like to ask what these bars are called. i have seen them mentioned as dog bones and also as torque rods which seem a more accurate description of the part. there is one on top and two on bottom of each rear axle coming from the center pivot out.

second part is, is the 5 ton truck set up in a similar manner? are the rods on the 5 ton as well? for years there was a 818 around the corner from my house but as soon as i get a deuce i go over there to compare and truck has never been back.

i want to separate my tandems so i can run 16s and feel factory pieces will be much stronger than trying to cut and lengthen the ones i have. any help on this would be great guys
thanks

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are called torque rods but everyone calls them dog bones. The 5 tons are quite a bit larger and they aren't interchangeable.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
yes the 5t is set up the same, but are BIGGER than the deuce, WILL NOT fit deuce mounts

SuperJoe

alrighty then. thats seems to be the vote. next question. can the center rubber piece at the joint be pressed out and replaced? is there a supply of just the rubber bushing available as i could fab new ends and weld to new tube to achieve the length i want.

or

what would be the best way to lengthen the existing ones i have? i have requests in with the two members i have seen do this in regards to this matter but weeks later still no reply

Hooty481

I had this same idead when i had a full set of 1400's. I was going to take 5-ton torque rods and have the ends turned down to the same size as the deuce. There for they would would fit right inplace of the stock deuce torque rods. I also had another idea of useing the brackets that mount around the 5-ton axels on the deuce alxels. I think it would me much easier and cheaper. I know the axels are bigger too but it would be easy to weld some plates to the deuce axels to make them as big as the 5ton axel housings.

I never did either of these and just put a set of 395's on my deuce. Sold the 1400's which i regret but never the less thats how it goes.

SuperJoe

well knowing someone else has thought of this route i dont feel like a fool blazing a new trail. Hooty481 do you have any pictures of this comparison of the size of the rods? also the mounts and what not. if they are moderately bigger i think i would want them as well since my tire size will be increased by so much. also if they are insanely bigger that may work as well since it looks as a lift will be in order.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replacement of the rubber inserts has been discussed many times. There is even a How-To with pictures.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...ing/33684-torque-rod-dogbone-mod-removal.html

You will not be lenghten the rods and move the axles out. The springs rest on a perch on top of the axles. The rods keep the spring and perch in the proper location.

By moving the axles apart, that changes the entire geometry of the system.

With the proper engineering and $$$ in parts you "could" redesign the system.

Here is a size comparison

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/53640-torque-rods-deuce-vs-5-ton.html?highlight=rods

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I had this same idead when i had a full set of 1400's. I was going to take 5-ton torque rods and have the ends turned down to the same size as the deuce. There for they would would fit right inplace of the stock deuce torque rods. I also had another idea of useing the brackets that mount around the 5-ton axels on the deuce alxels. I think it would me much easier and cheaper. I know the axels are bigger too but it would be easy to weld some plates to the deuce axels to make them as big as the 5ton axel housings.

I never did either of these and just put a set of 395's on my deuce. Sold the 1400's which i regret but never the less thats how it goes.
This is not the problem, the problem is the upper and lower frame mounts, these are castings with the tapered holes, the only way would be use the 5t axle brackets and turn down the frame dogbone ends, or install a complead 5t rear set up, and then pull the 5t axles and install the deuce axles, also you could pull some of the spring leaves to bring the ride back down to a deuce, also by useing a 5t setup, you will get the spread you need, because of the longer main leaf in the springs

Last edited:

SuperJoe

Warthog and 73m819 thanks for your replies both. i now see that the differences are much more than a new rod and bolt. i usually blaze the new trail years before others and end up at the same place in time as others that left much later than me because they did the research first.

Hooty481

its a big project. I dont know if 16's has ever been done but i do know that 14's have been done there is a thread on here of exactly what the guy did. he did a awesome job but put alot of work into it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks