• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear drive shaft compatibility

chief1983

I read a thread that mentioned that civilian blazers do use the same drive shaft, but it wasn't elaborated on. Just wanted to know if someone has gone to a junk yard and pulled a K5 rear driveshaft assembly and dropped it right in before, and if so, what years should have the same driveshaft? Through '91? The oldest Blazer at the local Pick n Pull is a '91, and it just came in a few days ago, so I'm hoping to get lucky and find a full assembly I can just pull right out.

chief1983

Aside from the TH400 at least. I wasn't sure if the different length of the TH400 vs the 700R4 or TH350 or whatever comes in the K5 would make a difference in the driveshaft length, or if the K5s also had a NP208 with the same output shaft, all the way through '91 especially. I'm going to take the broken shaft to check just to make sure though.

camogriz

I needed a driveshaft for my M1009 when I bought it due to it being really bent. I went to the junkyard and they had a huge pile of used driveshafts. I matched up the length and then the spline count on the yoke. The spline count was wrong, so I bought a new u-joint and transferred the yoke from my bent driveshaft. If you find one the right length and wrong spline count, maybe you can use the yoke from your broken shaft, provided that's not the broken part. Hope that helps.

chief1983

Yeah I was just going to buy the whole assembly to get in and out, and if the yoke is wrong, oh well I've still got mine and it didn't seem to be damaged from the u-joint detonation. Probably just get new u-joints though while I'm at it. Anything heavier duty than the stock ones that should work with a stock driveshaft and yoke/axle flange?

Westech

CPL
You will bust the rear end before busting the Stock drive shaft. If you want a "HD" unit have one made. Around here to have a Drive shaft made is around 150-200 bucks.

acmunro

If the civilian blazer has a 700R4 overdrive trans and a NP208 or NP241 Transfer case the driveshaft should be the same length as a M1009 with its TH400. Older blazers with TH350's would have longer drive shafts.

chief1983

You will bust the rear end before busting the Stock drive shaft. If you want a "HD" unit have one made. Around here to have a Drive shaft made is around 150-200 bucks.
I was more talking about the universal joints than the drive shaft. And I did bust the stock shaft, which is why I'm in the market for a new one. More specifically, I think the u-joint failing broke the knuckle on the end of the drive shaft, or the other way around, not sure which.

dieseldanchevyk5

"You will bust the rear end before busting the Stock drive shaft. If you want a "HD" unit have one made. Around here to have a Drive shaft made is around 150-200 bucks.". I had the misfortune of proving that statement wrong. I had it In low range hooked to a trailer. Accidentally tried driving off with the brake set. Murdered the transfer case side u joint.

nyoffroad

I was more talking about the universal joints than the drive shaft. And I did bust the stock shaft, which is why I'm in the market for a new one. More specifically, I think the u-joint failing broke the knuckle on the end of the drive shaft, or the other way around, not sure which.
Any drive shaft shop could cut that yoke off and replace it with a new one. If you go with a junk yard shaft check it carefully for dents and bends! That happens when they pick them up with a fork lift.