• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear drive shaft length

Br0nc0xrapt0r

Hello all, I twisted a rear drive shaft coming off the Tcase to the first drive and sourced a replacement from a parts dealer. I put it in and it went well but there was only about a half inch in between the flanges with the shaft fully compressed. I know there is not an insane amount of travel going on but what should the compressed length of the driveshaft? It's a bone stock 1971 M35A2. Last think I want to do is hit a big bump and break off a yoke or twist another shaft. I also need to know this so I can repair the other shaft. Thanks.

Jeepsinker

Assuming you don't have a shorter wheel base model, like an M275. The shaft you got probably wouldn't go in at all if that was the case though. They are considerably shorter.

Br0nc0xrapt0r

Assuming you don't have a shorter wheel base model, like an M275. The shaft you got probably wouldn't go in at all if that was the case though. They are considerably shorter.
So what you're saying is, if its a complete take out shaft from another truck, its going to fit or it is not. There isn't much room to **** this up.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know it sounds strange but it really doesn't need more than that. In normal service that slip-joint does see some extension, but barely any compression.
From level position (empty truck) to all the way up against the bump stops, the fwd rear-axle only shifts forward (= closer to the T-case) approx. 2mm, which is almost nothing. And fully loaded it is even less!
Even considering that the dogbones could extend a bit due to having rubber bushings, I would say, all combined, 1/2" is about the max. possible compression.

G.

Attachments

Last edited:

Br0nc0xrapt0r

Well that makes me feel a lot better. It took me quite a while to get a new shaft to my door and I don't want to do that again. Hopefully I can get my old one in the lathe soon and get it doctored up.

rustystud

I know it sounds strange but it really doesn't need more than that. In normal service that slip-joint does see some extension, but barely any compression.
From level position (empty truck) to all the way up against the bump stops, the fwd rear-axle only shifts forward (= closer to the T-case) approx. 2mm, which is almost nothing. And fully loaded it is even less!
Even considering that the dogbones could extend a bit due to having rubber bushings, I would say, all combined, 1/2" is about the max. possible compression.

G.
That's one of the wonders of our rear axle suspension system. On a regular truck that slip must be able to move almost 4" .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks