• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rear drive shaft

jmsneorrcom

84 CUCV - my rear drive shaft has lost some metal right by the u joint. how bad does that have to be to mess it up. and if it is destroyed can I use a 92 Surburbans drive shaft
thanks

48cj2a

I drove for years with a chuck out of the slip yoke end where a u-joint bit it on a lifted Blazer.

Just keep an eye out for one but I would not be in any hurry as long as the clip still works in the grove and you do not have any noticeable vibration. Surly with all the bent CUCV shafts out there you could get an end cut off one and have it rewelded on.

Anna Mull

I just drove 460 miles without a rear drive shaft!!! I bottomed out in a riverbed (about 20 miles off of Hwy 385 in Big Bend National Park) and lost the rear universal joint. We removed the rear driveshaft (stowed it as cargo) and then white-knuckeled it (in FRONT-WHEEL-DRIVE-ONLY) all the way back to San Antonio.

I LOVE THIS TRUCK!!!

kassim503

I wouldnt worry about it until it breaks off, mine has a bit missing out of the yoke and it hasnt really given me any problems yet. Unfortunately a suburban driveshaft probably wont fit, they have a longer wheelbase than any CUCV

...We removed the rear driveshaft (stowed it as cargo) and then white-knuckeled it (in FRONT-WHEEL-DRIVE-ONLY) all the way back to San Antonio!
Did you remember to put a cup over the tailshaft to retain fluid?

NICK_M1009

If you see something wrong with your driveshaft, I'd replace it... Stranded on the side of the road SUCKS.
But knowing you might have a problem carry tools with ya.

OK, I bought my M1009 in sept. It had a vibration like the driveshaft was bent. So I took the rear driveshaft out and duct-taped a paint can lid over the tail of the transfer case to keep the fluid in while driving. I obviously locked the front hubs and put it in 4-wheel to drive without the driveshaft.

It turned out to be a wheel out of balance.aua

Anna Mull

the ziplocs deterred the transmission fluid from flowing out of the transfer case, but after a hundred miles or so the rear window was covered with fluid. Still made it the remaining 350 miles without incident.

:grd: