• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear driveshaft counterweight location question.

I noticed some play in my rear u-joint on my m1009, So I got a couple new ones along with a new transfer case output seal. Im about to press the u joints back in, then realized I had not marked the driveshaft for reinstallation.:shock: I noticed the driveshaft has a couple counterweights tac welded on where it has been balanced. Is there any other means of identifying which end is which? Does it really even matter? The driveshaft appears symmetrical with the exception of the counterweights, which I believe were oriented toward the rear, but am still not sure.

Should not matter . where both ujoints the same? or did one have inside retaning clips and the other one have the clips on the out side ?

The U joints are both Moog/Precision 534G. It was strange though. I researched the project before doing it. I studied up on the torch technique, decided it looked simple, and went for it. The plastic cooked out easily with a propane torch. No problem. The existing u joints did have the clips though. The inner c shaped type. Is that typical? Maybe someone had changed them without melting the plastic?

I thought of the inside clips because I have found them to be used on the end of the drive line that to the slip joint that connects to the tranfer case .Thinking this might get your drive line back in the same way it came out.