• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rear drums getting hot!

deepseeman

So I did a search and couldnt come up with anything.

here is my issue. my rear brakes were dragging so I did a little investigating. I removed the rear drums and decided to replace the shoes while I was in there. so I replaced the shoes, new hardware and had the drums turned. adjusted the brakes and e brake.
took it for a test drive and everything seemed fine. i then drove it again. at my destination i just checked my rear hub and it was freakin hot.
is there anything else that might be causing this?

Barrman

What kind of truck?

M1009 I would check the shoe adjustment, rear brake hose, proportioning valve under the radiator and the rear wheel cylinders for not being stuck or frozen up.

M1008, M1028, M1010 or M1031 I would suggest the above plus the load sensing valve under the bed.

There is also the possibility of the master cylinder having crud inside and the pressure not being released though the little hole at the bottom. Or, the brake pedal itself not coming all the way back up causing the piston to keep the pressure in the system.

rickf

Are the drums tight again? If yes then it is most likely rusty e-brake cables. Replace both. If the drums are not dragging then check the rear axle bearings. I would guess that since you said they were dragging from the start that the brake cables will be your issue.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks