• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear-Front Axle Shift/Slide

Zoidsfan77

Greetings friends!

Forgive me if this has been covered before, nothing on the topic came up in my searches.

The rear-front axle on my M814 will slide left and right in corners. It shifts on the leaf perches. I can hear a clunk when it happens. I can also see when driving strait the sidewall of the tires in or out farther than the rear-rear. Total travel is about 1 inch. The truck has not always done this, but has been doing it for the last few months.

2018-02-22 15.39.42.jpg

There are fresh scrape marks where the perch and leaf slide. The perch has NOT moved on the axle.

So my question: is this normal? I was thinking perhaps it was designed to slide somewhat? If so should I lubricate the surface?
Or am I missing some sort of spacer, bushing, etc.? None of the other perches have any additional hardware, and appear the same with the exception of the slide marks.

Thanks for your wisdom!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It should move. Especially with a load in the bed and a tight turn. The front axle towards the turn should pigeon toe in and the opposite side of the turn the rear tandem will tuck. Completely normal. You may want to do the stress test on the torque rod inserts. Once they start to get weak they can cause a little slide pop.

dmetalmiki

When those points are not serviced (which most are not) You may hear quite a 'loud' clunk, (when backing up and turning (likewise forward also), at which some inexperienced drivers 'take fright', and jump out to check the 'What the heck?', noise!.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks