• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear gerry can mounts

caliber1

I have been searching for two days, to no avail. Somewhere on the forums I saw gerry can mounts on the rear fenders of a deuce. I believe the gentleman is from the left coast somewhere. Can someone help a brother out here? Got the can mounts painted up, just wanted some ideas. Thanks for the killer deal on the mounts Pete!![thumbzup]

caliber1

Sorry, yes I meant mudflaps. Wreckerman, was more than likely gonna be filtered WMO as well. Even with the locking straps, wouldn't trust diesel to be stored.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Sorry, yes I meant mudflaps. Wreckerman, was more than likely gonna be filtered WMO as well.
Even WMO can create problems.....if some distracted dufus rear ends you and smashes the can then there is going to be black oil all over the scene...some other dufus is going to scream for the HAZMAT crew (even though WMO is technically Non-Haz) and every first responder in a ten mile area is going to show up with sirens wailing and lights flashing (it's what they live for).

Then "distracted dufus" is going to get a lawyer and try to make it your fault and sue you for mental anguish.

If you just want them on there for a cool factor that's fine....fill them with water and go for it.

Spare fuel of any type should be stored up in the bed out of harms way. I don't even carry a full jerry can on the drivers side in the mount intended for one.

Just my opinion for what it's worth.

wsucougarx

My thread is here:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/85810-wsucougarxs-m923-acquisition.html

I typically keep the water cans on the mudflaps to stay on the safe side. However, my 5 ton will be the disaster/emergency truck should something arise. For that, I have fuel on the mudflaps due to how thirsty the NHC is. Sure someone could rear end me, in fact they could T bone me on the driver side. Do I relocate the main fuel tank in the event a distracted driver might T bone me?

Attachments

JCKnife

My truck came with fuel can holders on the rear mudflaps, straight from KYNG. It was a maintenance truck.

73M819, can you post a larger pic? I can't really tell what's going on there.

Attachments

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
My thread is here:

I typically keep the water cans on the mudflaps to stay on the safe side. However, my 5 ton will be the disaster/emergency truck should something arise. For that, I have fuel on the mudflaps due to how thirsty the NHC is. Sure someone could rear end me, in fact they could T bone me on the driver side. Do I relocate the main fuel tank in the event a distracted driver might T bone me?
A lot BETTER chance of getting rear ended, then being t-boned.

Following this logic, maybe up-armor the cab top in case the sky falls, never can be too safe,

I think the point we are trying to make, why add MORE risk to these trucks. (don't add fuel to the fire)

Last edited:

caliber1

My thread is here:

I thank you for the picture Mike. Prolly stick with water too, was thinking of adding another tank under the bed for extra fuel as well. The water will come in handy for Vinny to wash off with after finding certain holes in Richloam. :wink:[thumbzup]

Of course, I also have about 100 gallons of nice clean WVO too. If that gets spilled, I'll brake out the deep fryer and cut up some spuds.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
However, my 5 ton will be the disaster/emergency truck should something arise. For that, I have fuel on the mudflaps due to how thirsty the NHC is. Sure someone could rear end me, in fact they could T bone me on the driver side. Do I relocate the main fuel tank in the event a distracted driver might T bone me?
Let's do some math......you have a loaded truck with a 250 Cummins in it and you need to bug out.....5 gallons of fuel gets you maybe 25 miles (downhill with a tailwind). If you have one one each side that's 50 miles....yes this could mean the difference between getting to your destination or being stranded.

Have you considered adding another tank to the other side of the truck?

Fairly easy to do and if you use the same size tank as the stock one you double your range.

Another option is a tank mounted in the bed with a 12 or 24 volt pump to transfer fuel with.

wsucougarx

I thank you for the picture Mike. Prolly stick with water too, was thinking of adding another tank under the bed for extra fuel as well. The water will come in handy for Vinny to wash off with after finding certain holes in Richloam. :wink:[thumbzup]

Of course, I also have about 100 gallons of nice clean WVO too. If that gets spilled, I'll brake out the deep fryer and cut up some spuds.
I added a second 50 gallon fuel tank in place of my spare tire rack on my M109A3. I just use it as a feeder tank for my primary tank.

wsucougarx

Let's do some math......you have a loaded truck with a 250 Cummins in it and you need to bug out.....5 gallons of fuel gets you maybe 25 miles (downhill with a tailwind). If you have one one each side that's 50 miles....yes this could mean the difference between getting to your destination or being stranded.

Have you considered adding another tank to the other side of the truck?

Fairly easy to do and if you use the same size tank as the stock one you double your range.

Another option is a tank mounted in the bed with a 12 or 24 volt pump to transfer fuel with.
I have been throwing the idea around of adding a secondary fuel tank. However, I don't really have another location to bug out to. Not yet anyways but working on it. In my area I have a dam that has been known to flood the main hwy and make it impassable to regular vehicles. Plus my wife is usually down in a Tsunami vulnerable area on a town built over swampland. In fact the town is resting on pilings driven in the ground...LOL. So basically a 5 gallon jerry can will get me across the flooded hwy, down to the swamp town to get my family, and back home. The way my 923 is configured, I have a total of five jerry can holders (2 on mudflap, 2 on top of tool box, 1 mounted between the toolbox and mudflap). 4/5 have fuel cans on them.
So a guy need to assess where he may need his truck and what needs may arise. Then just plan accordingly. Wow, I'm getting way off topic now;-)

machinist75

5 ton itch

My thread is here:

Man wscougarex your 5 ton is giving me the 5 ton itch. My hoa would have a stroke if I brought one of those home. That's it it's time to move.

RAYZER

Here's a can mount that goes on the pass side step,I bought this one at the 2010 Ga rally for 25.00,it was the only one there and I've seen only 3 in two years and one went for over a hundred dollars on Ebay,so good luck finding one,but they look easy to fabricate.

Attachments

wsucougarx

Man wscougarex your 5 ton is giving me the 5 ton itch. My hoa would have a stroke if I brought one of those home. That's it it's time to move.
LOL, my big mistake was driving one. Though it's bigger than my wife's Escalade (just a little bit bigger:wink:), the 5 ton drives much easier...no joke!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks