• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear inner hub seal on M931A1

Aruba1

Hello Everyone,

Last week I purchased a 1985 M931A1 and drove it home fine. Surprisingly it drives much smoother than my single axle 1986 International S1600. When I got home I noticed none of the lights where working. After some tinkering I got self-classified as a newbie, I failed to figure out the light switch and the Unlock option, lol.

So now I still have some questions that I hope you can amswer.

Air horns are Inop. Is there any magic on how to get them to work that I probably overlooked?
Rear axle seal is leaking on the hub. I guess that is the inner seal going bad? Can someone tell me the seal part number? I hope to order the parts tonight to get these issues taken care off during the weekend.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Aruba1

Here are pics of the leak. The outside on the rim is bone dry but the inside leaks. I hope you can help with the seal numbers (inner/outer) as I am having problems searching the site. Thanks

Attachments

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site!! The site has all the TM's you need to find the p/n and how to fix things. But to me it looks like your inner and other seal has failed and your bearings has had all the grease washed out of them. The bearings in these trucks use grease not oil for the lube on the bearings. Bearing P/N outer seal P/N 7413447,Inner P/N 7979349, 7409550 http://www.steelsoldiers.com/forumdisplay.php?95-Technical-Manuals

Last edited:

mikey

You should still download and read the operators manual. If you drove it home with no lights, then you also drove home with no brake lights or turn signals.

Mikey

Aruba1

Mikey, that is a true statement. Unfortunately I was too focus looking for leaks or broken things on the truck that it did not occur to check the lights. I am in the process of the downloading the manual, it's a very needed thing for these trucks.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also you need to check your little vents on top of each of the axles to make sure they are clear. I installed a central line to each axle then run it up to the fire wall.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You can keep this link handy. it is posted in the sticky section in the top of the 5 ton section.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Inner seal numbers from local are

NAPA NOS407660 Oreilly 6663S

If your air horn isn't working, make sure the 2 prongs on it are plugged in. If not plug them in with the battery disconnect on and the ignition on but not running. If you see sparks when you plug it in then you have an issue in the switch or to the plug. If it plugs in fine but no issue, check your air lines and horn it self.

Last edited:

Aruba1

Thanks for the advice on the axle vents and on the "Sticky: 5 ton parts quick reference spreadsheet". I don't know how I missed the parts link. I'll print it and put in the 5 ton.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I try to keep it updated as best as possible. Sometimes it takes me awhile to cross numbers and such

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
[QUOTE=M35A2-AZ;1831103 But to me it looks like your inner and other seal has failed and your bearings has had all the grease washed out of them. The bearings in these trucks use grease not oil for the lube on the bearings.

I don't believe the added oil mixed with the grease will hurt the bearings and if not for the DOT you could run for ever as the bearing are getting lubed real good. The hubs weep holes are working as they should and keeping the mix away from the shoes and expelling it out on the hub. When doing wheel repairs always check you weep holes for being clear.

Aruba1

Also you need to check your little vents on top of each of the axles to make sure they are clear. I installed a central line to each axle then run it up to the fire wall.
Can you please post a picture of your setup? I tried searching for Fording Kit and Axle Breathing but I still can't figure out where these illusive vents are located. Thanks in advance.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

Aruba1

Thank for posting the pics and the thread. I found the valve on the axles.

Update: I finally had some time to remove the wheel/tire. I noticed the outer nut was a bit loose when I turned with the wrench but the inner (slightly larger nut) was very loose and I loosened it with my hand. I'll have help in the morning ton remove the hub as it seems too heavy for my wife and I to handle, lol. But I believe culprit of the leak is because the nuts where not properly torqued. Even the lug nuts were loose. I'll have to check the tightness on the other lug nuts and if they are loose I reckon it will be best that I got in and the axle nuts too. the Anyways, I hope to get the 6x6 back on the road tomorrow and have it tagged/insured by Tuesday.IMG_3291.jpgIMG_3290.jpg

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
normally the inner nut is finger tight. the outer though should be tight.
I disagree. On any other truck you might get away with it but not with the outer seal we run. Inner nut is taken to 100 to 150 Ft. lbs. Backed off then back to 50 ft.lbs. the TM's have us back off 1/4 from there but I don't go that far. The sure way to tell why the outer seal failed is when you go to remove the wheel/drum after you get the outer nut off then tighten the inner nut and see how many turns till it gest to 50 ft pounds. A loose inner nut will cause the outer seal to fail /leak.

I disagree. On any other truck you might get away with it but not with the outer seal we run. Inner nut is taken to 100 to 150 Ft. lbs. Backed off then back to 50 ft.lbs. the TM's have us back off 1/4 from there but I don't go that far. The sure way to tell why the outer seal failed is when you go to remove the wheel/drum after you get the outer nut off then tighten the inner nut and see how many turns till it gest to 50 ft pounds. A loose inner nut will cause the outer seal to fail /leak.
I'm talking about when you tear it apart. I've never needed a socket to remove the inner nut and I've torn down quite a few of these axles.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
10-4. That would be the problem. It was not done right to begin with or it was never re inspected after the first bearing service. It's does not take anytime to just come back and toque the inner again after a good set of miles. As said if it was not for the military outer seal. Every truck that I have done the inner nut is at least 2 full turns from the 50 lbs on tear apart. At the Ga. rally had to with Gimpy's help do a rear wheel service and the truck had just been serviced before the rally by someone running a shop.
O well fill the hub trough with grease, correct toque and cross your fingers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks