• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Lockout hub installed!!! (with pic)

jwaller

I just recieved the new hub and axle from hot rod deuce. I have to say they rock and with orings hub leaks are now a thing of the past.

Truck turns, drives, and all together is much better on the road. I imagine milage and tire life will jump up as well. truck seems to pull harder and cruises at top speed with more ease.

here is a pic of them installed.

The hub is an overson unit and the axle is much larger than stock. I dont see anything in this system ever breaking. the stocker axle on the other side will give first. what I'd like to know is would there be any advantage to adding another on the oppsite side or is 1 side good enough and would adding the other keep the double reduction housing from getting proper oiling.

rdixiemiller

All the tandems I drove had power dividers in the front chunk. This gives a differential action between the front and rear tandems to keep tire scrub down but still allow all 4 wheels to pull. When you pulled the power divider lockout cable, it locked the front and rear tandems together. This was only used in poor traction conditions.
I always compare the deuce rears to driving a standard 4x4 Jeep on hard pavement. You get axle windup and lunging when you turn. With a power divider, it is like driving one of the old Wagoneers with full time 4 wheel drive.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No benefit at all to installing a second hub and double splined shaft. Just money out the window. If you unlcok both everything will still be spinning anyway. Report back on how it does on inclines in the rain. I've had my tractor stuck on a wet very slight incline before.

jasonjc

I have had my M109 w/o box stuck in the back yard on a lose rocky hill with both rears pulling. Will at leaset both were spining and bounceing all 8 wheels. I think it has alot to do with no weight on them like your tractor.

jwaller

I've got about 200miles on it now and I can say yes it does like to spin the rears with ease and in the rain it doesnt want to get going to way it did before. but with proper driving it's not an issue. I did notice that the rear would like to spin going up the driveway. drop in the front diff and it goes up with no issue.

rdixiemiller

Bjorn runs his interaxle shaft out, so he has kept the front flanges in place for that very reason. I have the interaxle shaft out of mine for a u-joint replacement, and had to re-install my splined flanges to keep from getting stuck on wet grass.
Kenny has been stuck on wet pavement before.......

jwaller

drove it again today but in the rain and it will spin the rears up to about 40mph now. kind cool to spin that easy and with the tag axle keeping it going straight. it doesnt want to move sideways like a RWD car will do.

On dry with it spining the axle doesnt hop around either just a nice smooth spin.

hot rod deuce

Hey, Thanks yor the report! Just what I needed. This will give youthe same "easy to spin" bit that comes with removing the shaft, BUT you can just turn the dial if you need all wheel drive. A big time and effort saver.

There would be a big advantage to putting one on the other side. Both should go on the rear rear axle however if you go that rout . You would ALSO need a disconecting drive shaft. This way NONE of the rear diff would spin. Just like lock outs and air shift on the front.

I just got my disconect on my rear shaft and will work on the air shift parts next if your interested.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks