• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear main and clutch replacement - lessons learned

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't take pics. I could have, but it's a messy job and I was working alone 75% of the time so it didn't happen.

My truck has leaked oil of some sort out of the bellhousing since I brought it home from GL in 2009. For the first year or so it wasn't a problem. It never impacted the level on the dipstick, never seemed like the level dropped in the trans and the clutch didn't slip.

Coming home from a Dirtbag event on a hot day a couple years ago the clutch started slipping. We pulled over and she was burping oil out of the bellhousing pretty good. Three cans of brake cleaner and we were on the road. Six more cans at home and it was back to normal. No gear oil smell at all so I suspected the rear main.

A few weeks ago I went on a short trip to help clean up some public shooting land and it started slipping on the way home. It peed oil the length of the driveway. Four cans of brake cleaner through the drain hole was all I did. I should have pulled the inspection plate but I was lazy. A few days later I drove it three blocks to my sons school for an ROTC car wash. It slipped the whole way. The time had come.

I had my son pull the seat and floor plates. We noticed the whole top of the trans was loose allowing it to leak gear oil everywhere, but that wouldn't get inside the bellhousing. I pulled the drain plug and the inspection plate. When I pulled the drain I noticed the trans rocked back and forth. After pulling the inspection plate I could see the bottom bellhousing bolt was almost all the way out and the middle two were loose. That will allow gear oil into the clutch area. I still suspected the rear main.

I researched parts and went with Erik's surplus. Price was good, shipping was fast and cheap. I got the newer style pressure plate and disc, a throwout bearing, pilot bushing, trans gasket set, rear main and a shift boot.

Pulling the jack shaft I found four loose bolts. I went to Fastenall and got the correct bolt and grade 9 lock nuts that was suggested in another thread. I pick up 16 of each. I also got red locktight.

After researching threads and talking to Gimpy, Doghead and Clinto I planned on pulling the trans with the PTO attached. I got it out by myself easily. I pulled the skid plate off the master cylinder and I dropped the front driveshaft. Overkill for some, but it gave me lots of room. I set the trans on a cheap furniture dolly. Even with 11.00 x 20s I had to jack the truck up 3 inches to roll the trans out.

The pressure plate and disc were a mess. No brake cleaner is ever going to fix them. I found a mix of motor oil and gear oil. I pulled the flywheel with some cussing. I was told by Gimp, Clinto and Doghead to mark the flywheel. I forgot. I was able to overcome it later.

Soldier B needed money so after school for three straight days he cleaned and cleaned. We pressure washed what we could. I sent the flywheel out to be resurfaced for 80 dollars. The shop had it done in a few hours. While it was at the shop I pulled the brittle, dry and cracked rear main seal. There was no groove on the crankshaft so I was able to save 130 dollars and not sleeve it.

The project had been going on over the course of a week and Wednesday I started to get sick. I ended up getting nothing done but buying 90% all new hardware. I like clean stuff. Later that night I was able to swap the pilot bushing using a cheap puller to get it out. Then I used a block of wood and the old bushing to put it back. I also swapped the throw out bearing.

On Thursday I decided to put the flywheel back in even though I was still sick. I had planned for two friends to help install the trans on Saturday since we would try it with the PTO attached. Soldier B was scheduled to have a weekend pass. To get around not marking the flywheel I set it on a piece of cardboard and traced the crank bolt holes. The flywheel was heavy enough to make an impression the size of the crank so I cut it out and punched out the holes. I used that to figure out how the holes lined up. I got it right the first time, but I suggest when three experienced deuce experts tell you to do something, you do it.

That sucked all the life out of me so I quit until Friday. My goal was to get the pressure plate and disc installed and to jack up the truck and push the trans back under so I was ready for my help Saturday. Like I dummy I broke a bolt off in the flywheel by over tightening it. It was factory grade 5. Crawling out from under the truck I knocked my self silly on the open door and while seeing stars I stepped in a deposit my dog had made. I headed to the hardware store to get a drill bit and EZ out. I also picked up all new pressure plate bolts in grade 8. I was covered in dirt, grease, gear oil and smelled of doggie droppings. I was not offered assistance at the store.

Back home I got the bolt out, and cleaned up the threads. I Googled the torque value and broke out a torque wrench like the wanna be mechanic I am. That went so well that after the trans was under the truck I decided to hook it up to the chain fall and level it. I used a cargo strap from the PTO to the chain fall hook to get it level. I made sure it was in REVERSE so the legacy sprag rod was sucked all the way in. Then I decided to just try it stab it in one time. I got it close and crawled under the truck to give it a push. It wasn't lining up after a kick or two with my feet to I left it for Saturday. When I got up in the cab to pick up the tools for the day I noticed it was in. I had to use a cargo strap to align the bolt holes, but wow, it was in.

About that time soldier B came home from school so we got it all bolted in (or so we thought). We greased up the throw out bearing and the rod it rides on. While he connected the clutch linkage I pulled the top of the trans and poured in fresh Napa GL1. Then I installed a new gasket. With the jack shaft, front drive shaft and PTO still disconnected we started the truck and test the clutch. I heard a bang and felt my heart dropped until my son picked up the coffee can that blew off the exhaust. It sounded ok, but the pedal did not feel right and would not return all the way to the top.

I got under the truck and could see the throwout bearing running full time. We shut it down and I went to adjust the clutch. Then I noticed the clutch arm was binding badly. Doghead didn't answer the phone, Rat4Spd didn't have any ideas and Gimpy was stumped. I left it as is with a plan to grease everything and adjust the clutch so the throwout bearing didn't ride full time when the pedal was pulled manually to the top. Then I would work the clutch several hundred times in hopes it would free up.

Before my friends showed up soldier B canceled his weekend plans and stayed to help. He worked the clutch until both legs were sore but it was still binding. My buddies showed up and one started helping helping soldier B with the jackshaft and the other crawled under to look at the clutch set up since he had never worked on one like this. He immediately noticed a gap between the trans and engine on the bottom drivers side. The trans was slightly cocked to the side. He started tightening all the bolts again until it settled into placed. I tried the clutch peddle and all was well in the world again. Something so simple, so easy yet I didn't see it. Maybe it was the bump on the head or maybe I needed fresh eyes.

After connecting all the shafts and installing the skidplate I took it around the block for a flawless test drive. Freshly painted floor plates were installed with new bolts and washers and the seat was reinstalled.

It took ten days working alone most of the time and a lot of advice and help. I read a lot of threads and cracked open the book. I screwed up a few times but I got through it ok. It wasn't really that bad and with help could be done faster if I wanted to. Installing the trans with the PTO was too easy. I think it's better to be lucky than smart once in awhile.

Big thanks to Clinto, Doghead, Gimpy, Rat4Spd, soldier B and my two buddies. Without help and moral support nothing gets done sometimes.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Nice writeup.

That flywheel is a little hefty, eh? It's all I can to pick it up and get it on the crank. I have a long, grade 8 bolt I have cut the head off that I thread into the flywheel to help locate the flywheel until I can get some bolts started.

The cardboard was a good idea. I didn't mark my first one and rotated it around until they lined up. Not much of a lip on the crank to hold it in place.

Did you notice the TM but about reindexing the clutch bellcrank?

Last edited:

DieselBob

Nice write up of the clutch / seal job. Glad to hear it all worked the fist go around.

Crawling out from under the truck I knocked my self silly on the open door
Back when I was a heavy equipment mechanic I started wearing a knit cap all the time. It keeps a lot of the grease and oil out of your hair and it also helps cushion the impacts and help keeps down the number of cuts from sharp edges.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Um, no. I missed it. Is it something that is gonna haunt me?

EDIT: Just checked the book - 3.25 inches. I guess I'll go check in the morning. It must be close, everything was great on the test drive and the throwout bearing is not touching when the clutch pedal is released. I also reread your PM from last week where you told me the same thing. I wonder just how hard I hit my head?

Last edited:

DatGuyC

Did this, its not a fun job really. Being 21 and going to the gym regularly I guess made the flywheel not much of a problem for me, but I did remember to mark its location before removal. Didn't knock my head on the open drivers door, instead as I was getting up the lower corner got me right in the back. I still have about a 4" mark from that, and this was months ago.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a challenge when you're sick, no matter what your age. The door shows mercy to no one I see.

Did this, its not a fun job really. Being 21 and going to the gym regularly I guess made the flywheel not much of a problem for me, but I did remember to mark its location before removal. Didn't knock my head on the open drivers door, instead as I was getting up the lower corner got me right in the back. I still have about a 4" mark from that, and this was months ago.

mhassett

NIce write up. My problem is that anything that I do, I have to do at least twice.
Except for the dog poop, your story sounds alot like mine.
Congrats.
MHassett
Bush, LA

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Nice writeup.

That flywheel is a little hefty, eh? It's all I can to pick it up and get it on the crank. I have a long, grade 8 bolt I have cut the head off that I thread into the flywheel to help locate the flywheel until I can get some bolts started.

The cardboard was a good idea. I didn't mark my first one and rotated it around until they lined up. Not much of a lip on the crank to hold it in place.

why would you need to reindex the bellcrank?? i have never taken one off. if it was correct before, it will be correct after.

JasonS

why would you need to reindex the bellcrank?? i have never taken one off. if it was correct before, it will be correct after.
I believe that the TM recommended this when going from the old style to new style pressure plate (3 to 4 finger or vice versus). There is a thread out there somewhere describiing this.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Because apparently there are installed finger height differences between clutches.

I don't remember the TM referring to the difference between 3 and 4 finger pressure plates-it simply said that whenever the clutch is replaced the bellcrank position needed to be measured and verified. JasonS may be correct about the difference between 3 and 4. On that point I am unsure.

I have worked on several trucks that the pedal couldn't be properly adjusted because of the bellcrank being out of position-the adjustable rod and clevis would either run out of thread or bottom out before the correct pedal freeplay could be obtained.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just did the annual oil change and then pressure washed the engine. Looks like the front crankshaft seal is leaking too. I plan on swapping it out and installing the radiator I got from 100Dollarman and all new coolant hoses. Hopefully I'll be running out of things to fix soon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks