• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rear main seal leak

renovate7

When I got my truck recently I thought I had a rear main leaking. Turned out to be the hose between the turbo return line and the big nipple in the block. Then I thought I still had a rear main leaking but it's the valve cover going down the passenger side. You can't see the source, with all the stuff on that side of the engine, unless you really look. If the rear main is leaking I think (but am not sure) the oil will come out of the drain hole on the bottom of the clutch cover. If you see oil forward or above of that start checking other things.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OR...not wanting to step on d-mans toes..if it has been sitting a long time, run it and see what happens first before you go to all the work of taking the trans out...sometimes things seal up after they get used a bit.
Sorry Mike :oops: , just stating what i'd do before tearing into it!
Oh yeah, leaks run downhill. Check upsteram also.
almirante, Where in ca. are you?

Jakob

I'm currently chasing a possible leaking rear main seal. I'm exploring ALL other options first though because it doesn't leak oil all the time, only after it's driven for a while.

almirante

Thanks guys I all ready had the trany down, install a nitrile seal on, and ran the engine for half hour, and start leaking since that seal was a NOS like the lip was not tight to the shaft, so got the floruelastomer install it dry out all the area to determine source if any after half hour of running the engine since a very little amount of oil, but a total dry condition, so that why i ask if may be the oil is too thin that is ziping out, I allso going to try a new gasket that is made out high temp rubber about 1/16" thick, I will report back to base with result.
P.D: I am an industrial ingineer for food processing companies, and I always surronded by innoveted material, engineering so I like to experiment.
Thanks.......as you were folks :D :D