• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Main Seal replaced - now more leaking

mjtracy

I recently replaced my rear main seal due to a leak. Would leak about an 8" puddle after shutdown. When I did the replacement, did not see a lot of oil in bellhousing, but some running down from seal area. No oil on the clutch disk or pressure plate. I also noticed that there was not a carrier gasket in place. I installed the new rear seal, and made up a new carrier gasket.

The first run was great, not a drop. Happy days!

Unfortunately, on my second run, I had now had a huge amount of oil pouring from bellhousing hole. It stops after a couple of minutes. Probably around a cup of oil came out.

So my question is, what could I have done wrong on the seal installation. I pressed the new seal into the carrier using blocks of wood and a c-clamp. Everything appeared to be seated. The carrier gasket was made from paper gasket material. I did not use any loctite or other sealants on the main seal during the installation into the carrier.

Thanks, I appreciate any input.

Mark

Bowtie70SS

If you are talking rear main bearing seal then is it installed in the correct direction? I have never done a deuce seal but on most engines they are directional. The lip of the seal points in towards the crankcase.

Jeepsinker

May have been a good idea to use some good quality r.t.v silicone sealant instead of just a paper gasket. Sometimes a paper gasket can't fill all of the gaps between two sealing surfaces all by itself.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
After you drive a bit, the trans oil heats up and expands(it then pours out the input shaft since there is no seal). I had to drain about 12-16oz out of mine. Check the level after its been driven a while.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
After you drive a bit, the trans oil heats up and expands(it then pours out the input shaft since there is no seal). I had to drain about 12-16oz out of mine. Check the level after its been driven a while.
it has been shown that this is almost always an indication that there is something else wrong with the trans. the FULL oil level is so far below the input shaft, it never gets there.
(I like beetlejuice avatar!)

Jeepsinker

Mjtracy, is it engine oil or trans oil you are leaking now? We need to know for sure because there are several different things that may have happened. As you see, some of us here think that the trans may have started leaking now.

mjtracy

I'm pretty sure it is engine oil, as there is no smell. However I pulled the trans again and there is some leakage from the input shaft (oil around throwout bearing). That oil smells different that what is on my drip pan.
I'm getting ready to pull the flywheel, and will let you know what I see.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
that is too low for the trans. this has been beaten to death many times, but the fact remains that the transmission designer wanted the oil to be at the the fill plug level or they would have put it lower! chances are that there is no gasket or a damaged gasket or loose bolts on the front extension of the trans, or it is in the wrong orientation as it does have a drain hole. the trans holds 5 qts of oil and the level is way below the top shaft.

while the trans is out remove the release brng and the front extension and check it out. it may save you pulling it yet again.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Does the engine have too much oil in it?

Was the crank surface smooth (i.e not grooved and requiring a sleeve)?

mjtracy

Ok, more data. I had noticed it before, but now see the pilot bushing is completely worn for one half of its length. I have not had any trouble shifting, or any whining noises.

Could a worn pilot bushing allow the input shaft to wobble enough to create a GO leak? I'm thinking the leaked fluid on my drip pan is GO, as it is honey colored, not black.

Thanks, Mark

mjtracy

Thanks m-35Tom. I agree that the fill level should be at bottom of hole. I'll pull the bearing retainer off and check what is in there.

Clinto, the engine oil level is good, and the crank surface looked great when I replaced the seal. Thanks.

Jeepsinker

That's probably all it is then. I would replace the pilot bushing, and then run the engine for at least an hour at idle to see if the rear main is leaking before you reinstall the transmission. Just make sure that no flywheel bolts are left loose before you crank it. A worn pilot bushing can certainly cause a trans leak.

mjtracy

Pulled the Input shaft bearing retainer, and think I found problem. Previous owner had the input bearing fail. Looking at the input shaft, it is worn down where it enters the retainer tube, and the inside of the tube is worn down on one side so there are no more oil tossing threads. Where would be best place to find replacement shaft and bearing retainer. Thanks

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the shaft is only removable from inside the trans as the gear is larger than the hole. not so hard to do but at least the main shaft must be removed. hope it doesn't turn into a can of worms!!
your shaft does not look that bad, you might just get away with a new retainer, and replace that snap ring, it is bent and i would no longer trust it.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks