• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Main Seal Replacement

ssdvc

I have helped my neighbors out (a young couple, first time home owners) the past two winters, clearing their driveway whenever it snowed. They hadn't gotten around to affording a snow blower yet and I hated to see them shoveling 6-18" of snow each time. Since I have a tractor mounted 48" blower, it was no big deal to spend a little extra time to help out.

Fast forward to a week or so ago, when I found out that he is a certified ASE mechanic and is actually a mechanical wiz kid (I just thought he worked at his uncle's car dealerships, instead of their lead mechanic, at age 30!!). I was shooting the breeze with him and he told me all about his mechanical endeavors, including a build up of two, high end go fast cars, in his garage. I let him know that I had a job I was itching to get to, replacing a few seals on my truck, but my back surgery has put that on hold for several months. He said he was free on Saturday and could do the job. Fast forward, he came over, crawled under the truck and in a few short hours had the oil pan off, oil pump out and the rear main bearing removed. Looks like the original rope main seal, which was shot.

IMG_3479.JPG

Also the rear pan gasket was leaking and someone in the past had used high heat RTV on the main cap (to seal it) and on the pan sealing surfaces.

IMG_3480.JPGIMG_3481.JPGIMG_3482.JPG

I don't think the bearing surfaces looked too bad and the motor was pretty much free of any sludge that he could see.

IMG_3483.JPGIMG_3484.JPGIMG_3485.JPG

Cleaned everything, reinstalled and checked for leaks. Was good to go. Drove it twice so far and she is not marking her territory any more. Oh, and the kid repeatedly refused to take any money for his efforts!! He said he was grateful for my help during the winter, and was happy he could do something for us. I am happy that I am not staining the driveway (as is my wife). Damn nice and neighborly !!

Next up is the rear trans/transfer case seal and u-joints !

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have helped my neighbors out (a young couple, first time home owners) the past two winters, clearing their driveway whenever it snowed. They hadn't gotten around to affording a snow blower yet and I hated to see them shoveling 6-18" of snow each time. Since I have a tractor mounted 48" blower, it was no big deal to spend a little extra time to help out.

Fast forward to a week or so ago, when I found out that he is a certified ASE mechanic and is actually a mechanical wiz kid (I just thought he worked at his uncle's car dealerships, instead of their lead mechanic, at age 30!!). I was shooting the breeze with him and he told me all about his mechanical endeavors, including a build up of two, high end go fast cars, in his garage. I let him know that I had a job I was itching to get to, replacing a few seals on my truck, but my back surgery has put that on hold for several months. He said he was free on Saturday and could do the job. Fast forward, he came over, crawled under the truck and in a few short hours had the oil pan off, oil pump out and the rear main bearing removed. Looks like the original rope main seal, which was shot.

View attachment 867262

Also the rear pan gasket was leaking and someone in the past had used high heat RTV on the main cap (to seal it) and on the pan sealing surfaces.

View attachment 867263View attachment 867264View attachment 867265

I don't think the bearing surfaces looked too bad and the motor was pretty much free of any sludge that he could see.

View attachment 867266View attachment 867267View attachment 867268

Cleaned everything, reinstalled and checked for leaks. Was good to go. Drove it twice so far and she is not marking her territory any more. Oh, and the kid repeatedly refused to take any money for his efforts!! He said he was grateful for my help during the winter, and was happy he could do something for us. I am happy that I am not staining the driveway (as is my wife). Damn nice and neighborly !!

Next up is the rear trans/transfer case seal and u-joints !
Good Karma, law of the universe!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks