• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear main seal?

mt4x4

I'm guessing I need to replace my rear main seal. I just want to confirm before I get to far along. It's definitely engine oil. It only leaks during and a little after the engine is running. It also leaks a lot. I lost 8 quarts over 160 miles.

1969 m35a2.

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whoa. It looks like black engine oil but make sure it's not transmission oil. Transmission is much more likely to puke oil if overfull.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The OP said that he lost eight quarts of engine oil over 160 miles (that is a 3-4h drive). That makes it unlikely that it is gear oil from the transmission.

The concern about fuel getting into the oil is something to check, though, before dropping the tranny etc. When engine oil becomes diluted by fuel, seals will start to leak. The oil will appear thin and fuel-like on the dipstick, it may or may not smell strongly of Diesel; you can always get a test kit, take a sample and send it off. Easier than trying to investigate FDC, flame heater etc. without a clear smoking gun.

If the oil turns out to be ok and it is indeed the rear main seal, it is a good time to think about what else to do and what to order when you drop the transmission and take the flywheel off. New clutch and throwout bearing, resurfacing flywheel? You probaby won't enjoy wrestling with the tranny enough for wanting to do it again anytime soon.

In any case, buy a brand new production seal (NO "OEM" old stock stuff) and also check the seal carrier for the oil return hole modification (if not done, drill them ).

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is less about the fuel getting in and making the oil overflow, it is more about the fuel diluting the oil, thinning it to where it gushes out through a seal that would otherwise still have been ok.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK. Can fuel still get in the oil with the fdc bypassed?
Yes. Lot of threads on the matter.

Last edited:

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK. Can fuel still get in the oil with the fdc bypassed?
After my FDC, mine was still leaking, new HH o-rings, still leaking, finally the Booster pump seal did the trick.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at the blow by tube to make sure is not blocked before you start ripping into things.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks