• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear mount logloader on m35a2

sawmill71

I am wondering if you think a 5000# Barko 80 log loader could be rear mounted on an m35a2. I would mount it in the space between the rear most dual and end of frame. The purpose is as a crane carrier not a haul truck. Thanks in advance

poppop

If you have hydralic stabilizer legs it would probable be OK. If I were doing it I would center it over the axles or at least a little closer to the front. I have loaded logs with my 5 ton wrecker and a big log off to the side put a pretty big load on it.

sawmill71

The loader I have has hydralic stabilizer legs. They take all the stress when the loader is in use. gringeltaube nice set up is that a 2 1/2 or 5 ton truck? I am attaching a photo of my loader as mounted on my current truck. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

jwaller

If it were me I'd double up the frame several feet on either side of where you mount it. the deuce frames are really flexible.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.....is that a 2 1/2 or 5 ton truck? .....
That's an old M35, from a customer of mine.
A few more pics, below...

If it were me I'd double up the frame several feet on either side of where you mount it. the deuce frames are really flexible.
:ditto:Very true!

G.

Attachments

sawmill71

Thanks for all the information and the photos. That transfer case mounted pto is that original military part or commerical unit? I will need to come up with someway to run my oil pump as well. Was not sure what would be best. My loader mount is 28 inches how far back would you double up? Also should I run cross braces or will that cause more harm than good?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
....That transfer case mounted pto is that original military part.......... ?
YES, it came in the tanker trucks; model # is P-136-C, covered in TM9-2520-246-34-1 and -34P.
Check out the classifieds, there was one posted 3 weeks ago...

G.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Jeff aka KsM715 I think had one for sale

Last edited:

KsM715

I did but White Owl bought it. Might check with them if they are selling it or putting it on one of their trucks.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally, I'd rather have the loader mounted a little farther ahead than on the rear. Just looks like a lot of weight hanging on the back. Why not mount it next to the cab like the civi truck?

sawmill71

The old international I have the loader mounted on now has it behind the cab.The photo is above in the thread. That configuration limits your reach and unless you want to pass logs over the truck causes you to work mostly from the sides. If I rear mount I can back up to my work and have full reach of crane in 180 degree arc from behind truck. The second concern is getting the crane low enough to clear wires when driving. Mounted behind the cab the crane is to long to set down in a 12 foot bed and still clear wires.This model will not knuckle under. I had looked into mounting behind cab of m36a2 but the cost of the truck is much higher than m35a2. I agree with you rear mounting is not the best solution, but I am hoping the tandem rear axle will help displace the weight and make it work. I have very little knowledge of military trucks. but have been told that they are over built for whatever there rating is. The main purpose of this truck is to load trucks or trailers. I am thankful for everyones imput as I do not want to get this thing together and not have it work out. Thanks again evryone for your time.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would just BEEF up the frame from behind the cab to the end of the frame, this will take a lot of the bend and stress of a load on the frame end

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:

Pic #3 in my post #6 gives an idea of what could be done (has been done) for stiffening the whole frame and help better distributing the load and stress.

G.

sawmill71

Gringeltaube how much does the loader on the back of the duece weight best guess? Is the weight displaced well enough so as not to make the front end feel light when driving. I am trying for a street legal truck was not sure if the one in your photo was on road or off.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will try to get info regarding crane weight and axle load distribution. I would say about 3 tons for the crane itself.

That truck was built for off-road service only. Not sure if it would be street legal in your country.

G.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks