• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rear shock placement on bobbed deuce

quadfourgtz

I came across a thread discussing adding shocks to the rear of a bobbed deuce. There were mixed reactions as to whether or not there was a difference. I was looking under my bobber and I wasn't real sure as to the most effective location for mounting. Since the springs are outside the frame rails, it is not as straight forward. I did see one setup that would be relatively easy. However, I don't know how effective it would be as the angle of the shocks would be at best 60 degrees from vertical and would not seem to be as functional as something that more directly opposed the movement.

Some photos of setups that were felt to be a success would be very helpful and much appreciated.

Seth_O

I used the leftover springs & shocks from the M105 used in the bob. I probably could have gotten a better angle with shorter shocks, but hey, these were free.

The job was simple and straightforward and seems to have worked (the ride is more comfortable than pre-bob, not sure how much of that is attributable to what part of the conversion.)

I tested my articulation and I have plenty of movement, also the design should help limit the risk of axle wrap (not sure how much risk there is with a deuce, but I was worried about it pre-bob and sleep better now with the shocks on.)

Brackets are welded to the axle, bolted to the frame.

Attachments

Last edited:

Seth_O

Quad: I used the shocks from the M105 trailer I used for the conversion (edited my original post.)

Bobbed: I did mount one forward facing and one rearward facing. Good catch on the upside-down/water issue. I've never heard of a rock shield rusting from the inside that way, but I've never looked for it either. I think I'll flip it this week, just to be sure. Cheers.

Coal Cracker

I used the leftover springs & shocks from the M105 used in the bob. I probably could have gotten a better angle with shorter shocks, but hey, these were free.

The job was simple and straightforward and seems to have worked (the ride is more comfortable than pre-bob, not sure how much of that is attributable to what part of the conversion.)

I tested my articulation and I have plenty of movement, also the design should help limit the risk of axle wrap (not sure how much risk there is with a deuce, but I was worried about it pre-bob and sleep better now with the shocks on.)

Brackets are welded to the axle, bolted to the frame.

Seth,, Might I ask where did you get your shock mounts? which ones did you use, this looks like a slick setup. Thanks

hemichallenger

The old cargo bed frame mounts that you cut off when you bob it make good top mounts for the shocks if you use front springs and brackets from a deuce.

Seth_O

Seth,, Might I ask where did you get your shock mounts? which ones did you use, this looks like a slick setup. Thanks
I built them out of some 3/8" walled square tubing I bought as scrap. I think I paid $10-15 for a 3' length piece of tubing and that did all 4 of my mounts.

I cut them to shape with a chop saw and drilled them with the bench press. It worked fabulously, and was dirt cheap.