• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear stabilizer leg installed....?'s

Sierra51

I installed the rear stabilizer leg onto my M101A2 today....straight forward, marked and drilled mounting holes and bolted it on....this is a single hook, tension spring type....when in the up and locked position it "droops" sort of low toward the axle housing.....when in the down position to support the rear of the trailer it "free swings" back and forth before being screwed to the ground....is this normal or is there a piece missing from the mounting bracket to prevent it from swinging to the rear past the trail edge of the trailer?....

Milkman357

Sounds Normal

I doubt most people will use them.... But I use mine.

I let the boys play my M101A3.... nice to know it wont tip over on them.

I also Have a Pickup Camper I haul in my trailer.. so it's kinda nice insurance.

Sounds normal..good luck!

Sierra51

Thanks for the "sounds normal"....this is the trailer I use for work and when I'm "at work" I'm normally in the field 5 to 10 days at a clip....so I'm in and out of it on a daily basis....I fab'd a flip-up bunk in it and I use the tailgate as a table for various things....at 6' / 250 I feel a bit more comfortable knowing it's not going to be tilting back any longer....I still may "imagineer" a "rear travel limiter" of sorts....

blybrook

That is exactly how the rear leg operates on my M101A2. I just ensure that the bottom leg is fully collapsed before locking it up, that way if it does come unhooked, it'll swing freely without getting caught on anything.

I have a removable bunk for camping, that extra leg allows me to unhook from the truck and get everything leveled out before climbing into the bunk for the night.

Enjoy the trailer.

Sierra51

That is exactly how the rear leg operates on my M101A2. I just ensure that the bottom leg is fully collapsed before locking it up, that way if it does come unhooked, it'll swing freely without getting caught on anything.

I have a removable bunk for camping, that extra leg allows me to unhook from the truck and get everything leveled out before climbing into the bunk for the night.

Enjoy the trailer.
Fond memories of Fairbanks....stationed at Ft. Wainwright, Charlie Co. (ABN), 4/9 MANCHUS, 172nd LIB....Sept. 79' to Feb. 82'....flew in and drove out....

blybrook

Fond memories of Fairbanks....stationed at Ft. Wainwright, Charlie Co. (ABN), 4/9 MANCHUS, 172nd LIB....Sept. 79' to Feb. 82'....flew in and drove out....
I thank you for your service. It has been quite fun living up here as a civilian; it is a beautiful area and I'm enjoying my stay.

From what I hear from those that have been here in the past that things keep growing (where don't they, eh?) and many of the old hangouts have disappeared.

Thanks again.

KsM715

I would leave it free swinging to the rear. Someday you WILL drive off and forget its down. That will keep it from bending up the rear crossmember.

Sierra51

I would leave it free swinging to the rear. Someday you WILL drive off and forget its down. That will keep it from bending up the rear crossmember.
Point well taken....as the trailer I removed it from looks like that is exactly what happened....maybe something spring loaded....we'll see....thanks....

DAP

I monted mine on the rear cross member of my Pioneer Tool trailer to keep it from tipping when unhitched. It works great. However it has to mount backwards so if I don't retract it it will bent the rear frame. There is really no other good way to mount it and still have it conveinet to drop down.

cberner

I just picked one of these up on ebay for about $50 with shipping. Brand new in the box. I was concerned with the "free swinging" issue also, but you folks bring up a good point about driving off with it down. Has anyone had any issues with the leg when not connected to a vehicle; such as the leg "swinging out" when you were in the trailer?

86m1028

I just picked one of these up on ebay for about $50 with shipping. Brand new in the box. I was concerned with the "free swinging" issue also, but you folks bring up a good point about driving off with it down. Has anyone had any issues with the leg when not connected to a vehicle; such as the leg "swinging out" when you were in the trailer?
No as long as park brakes are set & are in good working order.
Set of tire chocks are also cheap insurance.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
As it was stated up in this thread as long as you screw down the foot to make firm contact with the ground and have parking brakes on and wheels chocked it not going to tip. I hve forgotten the chocks several times and never had a problem either(knock on wood).

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_6034.jpgIMG_6033.jpgIMG_6035.jpg
Trailer prepped and ready for an approaching ice storm a while back at a remote location.
Luckily it wasn't needed.

Anytime I have anything in trailer and not connected to the CUCV, the leg is down.
Easy, fast, and no worries about tipping.

Its free swinging for a reason.
Yes it's normal

AnthonyVargas

Do you have a link to the add of the stabilizer you purchased?
Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks