• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Tire Carrier Installed On My M1009

niferous

The title says it all! I got this off a member here who had one on a truck he was parting out. I "think" it's factory but I'm not sure. It just bolts to the side of the body and has backing plates to spread the weight out over the sheet metal instead of just relying on bolts to hold the weight. I am having just a little bit of trouble with the hole that the pin on the tailgate passes through to hold the carrier on the tailgate. It wants to stick on the top and I have to lift up the carrier a little bit to get it on there. Holds solid though and swings out well. I checked and it doesn't sag at all when it's fully extended.

The spot where my plate is the place a jerry can is supposed to go but it's set up for the old metal cans. I'm going to get a base for one of the newer plastic cans. Then I'll move the plate to probably underneath the jerry can holder.

Pics attached and I hope you like.

Attachments

Last edited:

OL AG '89

Gonna be a bubble buster on this one....
It's not a factory piece for the military CUCV....
The spare mounted on the inside passenger area to the wheel well and upper portion of bed rail.
I'll see if I can get a picture of mine and post.
It's a nice piece, but in an "unfriendly" moor pool, stuff mounted on outside of vehicles would tend to grow legs...
fact is things mounted on the inside of vehicles would also be "borrowed" by enthusiastic drivers.....

niferous

Right I understand the CUCVs came from the factory with the tire mounted inside the cab. That's what my truck had when I got it from DRMO. The problem with the tire being on the inside is that it takes up A LOT of room and makes it so I can't even load a sheet of plywood flat in the bed. Also I can smell the rubber for a while when I get a new tire, which this one is.

When I said "factory" I meant that some of the civi Blazers came with an optional external tire carrier but it was rare. As far as stuff in the motor pool, well all our HMMWVS were soft tops so it was just as easy to snag stuff fromt he insides. As far as securing the rear tire I'm going to use one of those free gun locks they give you when you buy a new gun. Just pass the cable through the wheel lug holes and then around carrier then lock it. I figure if they want it more than that they can get to it rather it's in the back or not.

Edit to add: You obviously didn't look at the pics closely close enough otherwise you would have said gig'em! :)

Last edited:

niferous

I don't know what they are worth really. Is $20 fair? I can ship it in a parcel post box if need be. I have all the bolts etc. The only thing that's missing is the bolt that actually holds the tire on the carrier but it should just be a $1 max from a hardware store. It had a a lot of surface rust and I tossed it.

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well its like I did not know for a long time that the Grille guard that comes on all the CUCV's
was a factory option on the CIVY trucks. I actually saw a couple on a guy here locally's
trucks,asked him if he took them off CUCV's and he said "NO" I ordered these trucks new and
this was one of the options I thought would work well. Not to be a "Doubting Thomas" but
I went to my GM dealer and his parts guy looked it up and sure enough .....the guy was right!!!

popacom / BILL in KY.;-)

100acre

m1008 swing mount

Can you mount a swing out tire mount on a M1008? I was thinking about putting a suburban tank underneath and need to put the spare somewhere.

Asmoday

That carrier set-up was an option from the factory on the Civy Blazers. My '87 gasser has one on it and it came new from the factory that way.

I just can't decide whether I want to move it to the CUCV or not...????