• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Tire Lean

grimlock97

I have been searching for a while to get an answer for this without posting, I have an M998 and the previous owner (The Army Most likely) rode the tire until the outside was bald and the tire is worthless, I know there are shims above the rear control arm, the tire leans drastically from the top out, I have already replaced the tire, can I simply remove all the shims behind the control arm to take the lean out? Is there anything wrong with doing this? The shims hold the control arm about an inch or more off the frame right now. Is there anything else that I need to look at first? Thanks for the help up front.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd pull all the shims out of the upper control arm. If the shims were not the same on both sides, leave the odd shim there.

TedG

Many hmmwv's are set for a load and if the truck is not at rated load, then drastic outside tire wear occurs. Some have removed the shims at the top a-arm brackets against the frame rail. Some have taken it to a truck shop to do it. If shims are removed, then a complete alignment is required. Since you may do that, plan on replacing all tie rod ends and ball joints.
Read TM manual...TM 9-2320-280-20-2

Gunzy

Any good alignment shop should be able to do an alignment on it. If they wonder about specs just align it to H1 specs as the suspension is pretty much the same and that would give it a setup for street driving to not wear the tires.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It probably has heavy duty springs for a shelter carrier or ambulance, or slant back.
Another option is to put lighter duty springs, change all ball joints, and shocks while in there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks