• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear transmission seal

wb1895

I just had to replace the main shaft and the syncro hub for second and third gear in my deuce. I spun the keys holding the hub on......Anyways....

I got a new gasket set and rear seal for the main shaft and I have found a problem. The old rear seal is both a rubber and felt seal, but the new seal I got is half the thickness of the old seal and has only the rubber section of the seal.

Did I get the wrong seal, is the old one obsolete, can I use the new seal in place of the old one???

Thanks for the advice.

Walter

Terexts

I have yet to replace the rear main seal in my trans but I do have a seal for it. The seal I have is a new style seal that is only a rubber inner and no felt as you describe in your old one. I do know the forward/ reverse shaft oil seal that came out of my trans was twice the thickness and had a rubber and felt inner, unlike the new one I just replaced it with.

Terexts

Here's a pic of the forward/ reverse shaft oil seal that came out of my trans. The second one you can kinda see the rubber section and the felt section of the seal. Sorry for the bad pics, took them with my phone.

Attachments

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced my transmission output seal this summer. i got the seal from napa per the cross reference table on here and it worked great. it is a little narrower than the old felt seal that was in there before

wb1895

Gimpy, I will post up some pictures tomorrow[thumbzup] Okay I believe that I do have the right seal just a newer one without the felt part.

silence

Spicer Seal

I actuall know nothing about the M35s. I do know a little about spicer seals. The felt ring on the inside is a wiper that prevents bearing spray from pounding the seal. The new seal will work. It is a cheap after market seal that actually has a high price if you plan on keeping it long term.
It will grip the output flange much tighter. By the time it has 60,000 miles on it there will be a seal groove cut into the output flange. Spicer seals with the felt wiper do not need to grip the yoke as tight and very seldom cut grooves like the cheap aftermarket seal will. Sad part is that seal is most likely worth twice what the gasket set cost.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks