• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear wheel hub on front spindle?

Excuse Me

Hi all. For a project of a different nature, I may need the wheel flange position that is available on the rear wheel hubs, on the front spindles. Is this a possible change?

Some more details. There will be no brakes, and no drive axle at this time. What I need to do, is build a spindle mount for the front 5 ton spindle from the 800 series and newer, then install a rear hub with bearings and seals on it. It will be sealed against dirt and foreign materials.

The reason is to get the wheel flange as near to the mounting plate as possible. Perhaps you folks that are much more experienced in the parts available and interchangable can shed some light on this please? I looked at a diagram on Boyce equipment's site that says the bearings and seals are the same, but I have no way to know if the bearing spacing is the same.

I have the oportunity to buy a nearly complete 800 series tractor with the multi-fuel Continental. I'd rather not rob parts from it, which would then pretty much relegate the rig to a parts only status. I'm hoping to just order the parts I need from a supplier off the shelf.

Thanks for any help.
Don.

Excuse Me

Ok, so the 800 started with the Cummins?

It is a turboed version continental. I have only viewed it once and of course, I only have the owners info to go on, which is likely false. The air cleaner is on the right fender instead of the left and grill is different than the other 5 tons I have seen.

I did not see the "title", but the owner said it is a 65'?

What series might it be then, and are the axles the same? The axle's appearance was the same as the 900 series axles I have for this project, except mine have air wedge brakes and the truck I viewed has non working hydraulics. The U-joint yokes are a bit more open in appearance than the 900 driveline pieces I have.

Thanks.

Excuse Me

My hubs and spidles showed up UPS today. One hub and spindle, disassembled without bearing cones or drive cap, weighed 109lbs. A 3rd box with the bearings and caps etc. came in at over 50lbs. The UPS guys earned every penny.

Thank so for the information.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
One hub and spindle, disassembled without bearing cones or drive cap, weighed 109lbs. A 3rd box with the bearings and caps etc. came in at over 50lbs. The UPS guys earned every penny.
To paraphrase my friend Kenny: "every time I get the urge for another 5 ton I just pick up that 5 ton brake drum I keep around and move it to the other side of the yard....that usually kills the urge".rofl

Good luck with the project.

Coldfusion21

This is sorta off topic but I see your in Hillsboro. I'm
on the edge of sw Portland so I always like seeing another ss member in the area. No od for me yet but I'm getting close. If you ever need a hand drop me a line, I'd love to see your project.

Jared

Last edited:

Alredneck

Banned
If you had the fronts already you could flip them. Beat out the studs and install everything backwards.

Excuse Me

Coldfusion, the more friends, the better.:mrgreen: Thanks.

I've tryed to read what I could with my limited imagination finding search words. But once I got the hubs and spindles, holy smokes, I am absolutely amazed at the functionality and versatility that was engineered into these units. I sure wish some of the agricultural equipment engineers would take note.

Thanks again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks