• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Wheel Hub Temps?

Gunner0311

I drove my deuce about 140 miles roundtrip yesterday, and when I parked it I found that the rear wheel axle hubs were very warm. They were not "hot" and I
did not think to get out my infrared temperature gauge I got for XMAS and get a
good temperature reading.

I don't know if this is normal? I never noticed it before, but probably never went
around the truck grabbing each wheel hub to check them either. It drove fine, with no strange noises or any other indication of problems.

So how warm should the axle hubs be after driving for a couple of hours in warm
weather?

:lost:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Warm", where you can put your hand over the hub and leave it there, is ok. "Hot", where your hand is uncomfortable with the temperature, is not ok. If too hot, check for dragging brakes or axle nut preload too high.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Refueled both my deuces today. About a 20 mile round trip. Checked all the hubs at both the truck stop and at the house. No difference between any of the hubs. As a standard for hub overheat, I had a 1990 one ton Chevy for 4 years or so. One day one of the hubs had bearings going bad. I knew very quickly there was a problem..smelled awful (hot grease). Traced the smell to the hub and it felt hot to the touch. Distance traveled...5 miles.

When bearings go bad for whatever reason; grease breaking down, no grease, seal shot, over tightened bearing nuts, they heat up fast and let their dispeasure known quickly for poor treatment.

Gunner0311

I was feeling okay about my wheel hubs, but after reading more post I am worried again.

So if the hubs are "Warm" I am okay? But if they are "Hot" I have a problem.

Right?

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine are too warm to leave my hand on for 5 seconds. This is on the M108 which has 7,000lbs of extra weight. On the regular M35 they are just lukewarm. All these bearings have checked/replaced, repacked, and new seals. If they are all the same temp, I don't worry too much. But on a unknown truck, I always repack the bearings and go through the brakes.

Dennis

oldshep

I tightened my axle nuts too much the first time i repacked mine. Lets just say I can do the job in record time now. Lesson learned:roll:

Jake0147

I've never seen a published spec, but if you can get your hands on an infared gun, a commonly accepted practice in the repair business is to look for 50 degrees above ambient or less. More than that is an issue. Hubs will feel warm after a bit. Barring any abusive use of the brakes, a subjective shot from the hip is this: Hubs Should feel "warm" but but not "hot". If you can keep your hand on it indefinitely, it's probably ok at least for now. if you can keep your hand firmly on it for five seconds, but not indefinitely, you should seek help. if you can not keep your hand on it for five seconds, help should seek you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks