• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Wheel Seals - Napa P/N?

cleb

I looked under the Deuce this morning to see gear oil on the inside of the rim :/. I need to replace the inner and outer seal on that axle (Rear) before the 4th. Is there a Napa number for the seals? I didn't find anything in the cross reference section, just the pinion seals. I would order from OD Iron or such, but it probably wouldn't make it in time.

EDIT: I heard that RTV can be used in place of the cork sliver for the keyway? Is this true, and will it hold up as well?

TIA,

Caleb

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry Caleb, no civilian interchange. RTV does work in place of the corks. Triple check the axle vents too. Remember that the inner seal is not designed to retain oil, it way be fine once all the oil is gone.

Cleb either get ahold of mike and have it express sent as you can even go up to a overnight if needed. Or let me know and ill have it out tomorrow morning.

Also RTV can work if needed for the cork replacement.

m35a2cowner

seal

As you will soon discover the seal is only a dust seal and the rear bearings are lubricated by grease. Do a search and you will see a plethora of advice on this topic. I had to learn via the school of hard knocks that leaks in the axle are usually the result of plugged breathers and a desire to fill the differential up to the plug opening. Don't do it. I switched to 1/2 below and cleaned vent plugs and I have not seen another leak yet (Knock on wood). While your in there be sure to pull the wheel cylinder rubber (end cap) back a bit and make sure its not leaking. Be sure to put the cork seal in. I cut a piece of a Chevy 350 cid valve cover gasket down to make the cork seal. Use 3M brake cleaner its the best I have found. Good luck and while your at it invest in an axle nut socket, its money well spent.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks