• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rebuild Deuce

dmills421

My name is Dustin and my Deuce survived Hurricane Harvey. Kind of. Had water up to the turbo on it. Drained all fuel and replaced. Fired it up and ran fine for a hour or so while we cleared debris. Then started missing and smoking. Maybe a injector? Truck has sat since that day. I washed it and got most of the debris cleared off the frame. Does anyone rebuild deuces for a living? Would like to talk with someone about a completed paint job, repair engine, winch leaks and repair anything that needs to be fixed. I work out of state on a 4 week on 2 week off schedule. When I am home I do not have time to figure out what’s wrong, then order parts only for them to show up day or 2 before I leave again. The. Get home 4weeks later to start repairing to only need another part. Vicious cycle. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Next option is to sell as is to someone who can enjoy her.

I will upload video to YouTube of truck idling so I can post on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get ahold of Clinto on here. AKA, the Deuce Doctor.....................sure you could work something out. If not with him, he'd have the inside track to someone who could help ya!

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Priority one is to prevent further damage and deterioration secondary to salt water submersion.

This is what I'd do -

1) change all fluids

2) this especially means the differentials

3) service the hubs

4) grease everything greasable

5) spray WD40 pretty much everywhere.

Ideally you could submerge it to the same depth of clean fresh water prior to beginning the service. The goal being to rinse off the salt.

If you put this off your wheel bearings may rust and seize, among all the other evils that may occur.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Put a screw driver to your ear and then to each injector. That should tell you if the injectors are ok(they should all sound the same-ish). Next would be to get an infared thermometer and see what the exhaust temps are at the manifold outlet. A cold(maybe hot, but I doubt it) outlet will tell you what cyl isn't right.

you could loosen each injector line one at a time to see what cyl is fowl too, but be careful of the high pressure fuel coming out of the injector, though you shouldn't need to pull them out of the motor.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimp is far more knowledgeable than me...

But what's missing here is a sense of priorities. The motor runs. It got warmed up. It got oil all through it. The fuel system got diesel all through it. It isn't going to rust or deteriorate. Detailed diagnosis and resolution of those issues can go on the back burner.

I would consider the wheel bearings to be priority one. They'll rust and seize in short order.

Once the wheel bearings are slathered in grease, then the differentials and other fluids would be second priority.

Once you've prevented passive deterioration, turn your attention to getting it running right.

Someone once posted a picture here of a deuce wheel bearing that rusted and seized. I was (and am still) very impressed...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks