• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rebuild heads or new motor?

deepseeman

My head gaskets need to be replaced and I have quotes from 1200 to 2500 to get it done. is it better to just buy a rebuilt motor or do an upgrade to a 6.5? i dont have the time to do it myself or I would try.

does anybody know someone in the San Diego area that works on these beasts?
I would rather support someone from here first then use a no namer out in town.

Shop Rat Fab

To answer correctly and for us to give our opinions we need more info.
Are you sure its the head gaskets and not a cracked head or block?
High mileage on the truck or not?
Cost of reman engine and install would be more than head gaskets.
No need for a 6.5 upgrade unless you have one. (My opion)

ralbelt

I replaced one head with a new one, original was cracked, and had the other resurfaced and valves inspected and recut or replaced as needed, tear down was 2-3 hrs and reassembly about 6-7 in 30 degree weather. I had never done one prior to.
With the TM's handy it's a relatively easy job.

deepseeman

appreciate the advice and input. I am having the heads done by a buddy's shop. 1k total unless head needs replaced. actual mileage on motor was unknown. my guess around 200k. i was losing coolant and have a new radiator and hoses with no leaks. I had bubbles coming from between the block and the head. I just wanted to get on it before it got to bad.

Blood_of_Tyrants

If this guy is charging you $1000 just to replace head gaskets, he isn't your "buddy". He is charging you $1000 for $100 worth of gaskets and 6-8 hours of labor.

****, you can buy a HMMWV pullout engine that runs for $600.

JUNKYARDJOHN

If this guy is charging you $1000 just to replace head gaskets, he isn't your "buddy". He is charging you $1000 for $100 worth of gaskets and 6-8 hours of labor.

****, you can buy a HMMWV pullout engine that runs for $600.
I bought two from G.L. for $150 each. The shipping cans they came in were 540 lbs each & worth more than that. I plan on making a woodstove for my shop out of one & an engine test-running stand out of the other. :beer: John

Attachments