• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rebuilding a Multifuel

Flyingvan911

The price you pay depends on what's available to you and what you're willing to pay. I'd pay $1,850 for an LDS to get me deuce running again (if mine broke down).

GoinNutts

I keep reading these posts on this thread and when you folks are talking about the rebuilt motors you are buying it sounds like they are gov't rebuilt and then installed in the trucks buy Uncle Sam then sold at auction and then you are buying them from a private individual who has parted out the truck??

If this is the case then I always wonder how it was cared for and driven. I know how was on my cars at 18 yrs old and those were my cars I had to pay for and fix, not someone else's that would just roll out a new one when yours was hammered. I watch the the auction and I see the trashed, misused, neglected equipment and Uncle Sam scrapes a lot of stuff and when that trashed stuff hits the auction it make me wonder.

If you pay $1500-$1850 for a used rebuilt engine it seem expensive when you could have bought a complete truck with the same "rebuilt" motor and if nothing else scraped the carcass for $250 a ton. 13000 lb truck - 3000 lb motor = 10000 lbs scrap @ $250 ton = $1250 scrap in Los Angeles. This is a big heavy motor and is a lot of work to R&R not to mention all the add on costs clutch, belts, hoses, fluids to be installing a used rebuilt with an unknown history. I could have probably bought almost 2 complete trucks from GL for what I paid for my can motor. I know a can motor is not a 100% thing but I have done the used low hour motor thing and that I (Mr. Murphy)can say is more like 60%. I am not a betting man but when I have to choose with my money I like to get as close to a sure thing as possible.
[thumbzup]

Marie

Is it expensive to have a fuel injector rebuilt for a 1970 Deuce and a half M35A2?

Last edited by a moderator:

Alvin Green

The real question is how much longer are we going to be able to keep our multi-fuels running. I am in the process of rebuilding a ldt 465 with .010 under main and rod bearings and have been unable to locate the rod bearings. I have checked all the usual sources with no luck. Some sites are advertising them, but when ordering found out they are unavailable. Part sources seem to be drying up even though it was built for Ag at least until 1987. Was the engine built longer in other countries? It would be a shame if the multi-fuel goes away.

DavidWymore

Cool. Do it. I've been wanting to. Friend had a deuce that had been rebuilt in '91 and hardly used. Ran so smooth you wouldn't think it was a deuce. That's my goal eventually. Cattlerepairman went pretty deep in one I think. Do the LDS upgrades. Piston squirters, intake rockers. There are stronger rod bolts available from a tractor application IIRC.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks