• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rebuilding after 15 years of storage

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yes it was just a fun-project. Got the bus for cheap but it took a lot of money to rebuild.
And selling without finishing was a negative deal for us... however it is long ago.
Our shop now is complete full with new projects, sometimes it is necessary to say no to a great deal
Alone on the both trucks, i think we stay in work the next 2 years, than the trailer...

It is time for our retirement that we have more time for our own projects 😂 if we dont want have restrictions than we need to go on 4,5 years.

The next will be the sandblasting of the Sierra Frame - it will be a bit more difficult as the Frame is heavier und bigger than the Chevy Frame. He will not fit on our own trailer. So we need to rent a trailer for transport.

It is here the same - for any building which gone comes big appartmenthouses on it.
There is not enough appartments for all people around they said

Next to us gone a house with a shop beside - an old family business.
Now there is a new house with 8 appartments in the same space
Nevertheless our city is a small country city not more than 25000 people lives here, a typical small country city in a nice green area of westgermany. I love the country live.

Hella is known for their great quality, also if it is now build in China. But of course the switches was always inside the vehicles and not in directly sun, that give also a longer live. The Truck was also the last 15 years stored dry in the back of our shop with a cover on him.
It seems interesting that you are having the same "not enough housing" problems there in Germany. I can't figure out if part of that problem is war related - or if it is just growth in general.

Here in Charlotte, North Carolina we are adding about 120 people per day in 2023. A quick search showed The city grew 1.7% from 2021 to 2022. The city grew 1.7% from 2021 to 2022. December 2022 showed Charlotte metro was 2,701,046 and I've heard we are over 3 million now. I guess we need the apartments - but it sure would be nice if it wasn't happening.

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It seems interesting that you are having the same "not enough housing" problems there in Germany. I can't figure out if part of that problem is war related - or if it is just growth in general.

Here in Charlotte, North Carolina we are adding about 120 people per day in 2023. A quick search showed The city grew 1.7% from 2021 to 2022. The city grew 1.7% from 2021 to 2022. December 2022 showed Charlotte metro was 2,701,046 and I've heard we are over 3 million now. I guess we need the apartments - but it sure would be nice if it wasn't happening.
Actually it is of ucraine war refugee and about other who need Asyl. They build containerblocks until other room is found for all. Build new houses need time and skilled worker. Where we be by the next problem: Also a lot of skilled worker are missing and need to come to germany so they all need a place to live.
In the local community, a decline in the birth rate is a further problem for economic development.
I am not sure about the actually grow rate.

I think the industry nations have all a similar problem.
And politicians, no matter which party, are unable to solve these problems.

I am living in Nordrhein-Westfalen in an Area which called Münsterland near by the area Ruhrgebiet which have the highest joblessratio. Also a problem here. The jobs in service become more and more less. If you are not an engineer or skilled worker with a good school education is it hard to got a job.

Our Famely is working in healthcare, IT, Car and Truck mechatronic and Machine engineering. Fortunately we made our way in sucess. Now we waiting our first grandchild and the concern of the future start again.

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Center Switch box is build in and checked on connections

20230812_151411 (2).jpg

The brackets are painted

20230812_142224 (2).jpg

but our son - who want connect Dacota and the original harness with the additional electic have just now no time.
It doesnt matter as we still have a lot other to do
Beside the work on the Chevy does we now start to prepare the frame from the Sierra for sandblasting and paint.

Yesterday we start a last try to separate the trailer hitch from the Sierra for sandblasting
But it was so hard corrodated that it could only seperate by destroying
Why do we this - very easy - as you all know it already, in Germany need anything you wand add on your Truck a technical test and roadregistration. If i use a complete new and different USA Hitch will i have again the trouble for the road registration about the technical test and german or westeuropa aftermarket Trailer hitch shops have none in their offer with german road licence.... We hoped to reuse the hitch after remanufactoring.
Now we can only cut the hitch of the frame and hope to got a spare-hitch. That mean already that after sandblasting the frame is still in good condition. We will wait this. it is the original Trailer hitch

20230813_101455 (2).jpg

20230812_122210.jpg

20230812_131210.jpg

The Truck had got here the road licence with this hitch. The only restriction was they lower the load fromt 7500lb/3401 kg on 3000 kg as we have here classes for load. Between 3000 und 3500 kg in our case. So as we not reach the 3500kg was it registered as 3000 kg.
The original hitch have not a good reputation for high load, it can bend easy is often said in reviews.
Well here it is already restricted on 3000kg load. I dont think that we need more load ....

Last edited:

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
after bringing the Sierra Frame to the sandblasting shop was it necessary to rearrange the shop for the final assembly place for the Sierra.
During this we had again the worn out parts of our engine in our hands
Time to do some artwork
In memory of Scotty Star Trek 3: "Here, Doctor, souvenirs from one surgeon to another"

20230826_142610.jpg

Thanks V8 i have still the option of 3 other of this as my son grabed it faster as i could think where i will find a decorative spot in my house for it rofl
Material costs - none as all worn out parts or scrap
Skill which be needed: welding
Time to finish: less than an hour
Inspiration for the design: Internet
Weight: 15 kg 🙃😂

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
after bringing the Sierra Frame to the sandblasting shop was it necessary to rearrange the shop for the final assembly place for the Sierra.
During this we had again the worn out parts of our engine in our hands
Time to do some artwork
In memory of Scotty Star Trek 3: "Here, Doctor, souvenirs from one surgeon to another"

View attachment 904464

Thanks V8 i have still the option of 3 other of this as my son grabed it faster as i could think where i will find a decorative spot in my house for it rofl
Material costs - none as all worn out parts or scrap
Skill which be needed: welding
Time to finish: less than an hour
Inspiration for the design: Internet
Weight: 15 kg 🙃😂
Very Nicely Done!

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yesterday we had our trip to the driveshaft shop

20230902_051726 (2).jpg

Elbe Gelenkwellen

20230831_153747.jpg

They wanted the original one in front of them.
After a longer talk about force and strength on the driveshaft could we find a solution.
It wasn`t that easy as i thought in just exchange the connections (slip yoke on the rear) and shorten them as new rebuild not using the old driveshafts, it was also about the material.
And we come again on the issue that we have here a big customer protection. The manufatorer had to explain and advise correct about the danger in changing things specially about the safety issue. Of course they build what you want but against their advice you have to sign a paper that you want this build against their advice.
Fact is that in the USA is used thinner material/light weighter iron material as we have here for the tube. Thicker material becomes more weight. Changing the material from iron for example aluminium have other challenges ... More weight, to stay with iron result in more force.... and so on. Finally we was able to find a solution with a bit more weight in parameters which we can accept before loosing safety.

But i have to support them with a new Double Cardan CV Head as they have no business contact to USA nor an import dealer for this.
That is not really a problem as we now have enough experience in importing spare parts for the Chevy 😂
That this rebuild will not be a cheap solution was obviously in the first idea of it.
It is the price we want pay for holding the original drivetrain in stock in the historical rebuild of an 100% original Oldtimer also if we dont want use it.

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Long wait for it.... First deliver was the wrong fan and the second deliver seems to be by Rowboat...

20230911_092137.jpg

20230911_104505.jpg

20230911_143915.jpg
Now the chevy have a Break as we got tomorrow the Frame of the Sierra back from sandblasting

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our Search for a stainless steel exhaust system was not sucessful. To become him back on the road we choose the used exhaustpipes with new stainless steel mufflers from walker

20230914_091011 (2).jpg

it is not what i want but the cheapest and fastest solution for now.

The double cardan CV head make still headaches.
After a research on that issue i figured out the M1008 should have a 3R Series Double Cardan CV Head

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The chevy is saved under a 1000% tight Covering as we are now painting the frame and all the frameparts after sandblasting from the Sierra

20230914_103238z.jpg

a lot of more small parts than the chevy....

20230920_135701z.jpg
after search for the right Double CV Cardan Head and the costs was we end up by purchase a new driveshaft in Germany by US-Army-Military-Shop.
Usually the shop is much more expensive than importing myself, but in that case it was cheaper.

20230923_165051z.jpg

This shaft will be shorten bei Elbe Gelenkwellen, at the end cheaper than import a new Head and rebuild a complete new driveshaft.

20230923_131447z.jpg

we also paint the old exhaust tubes after derusting with exhaust paint Mipatherm - this should be save them again for a while. Maybe we find later a solution for our exhaust system

Last edited:

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The chevy is saved under a 1000% tight Covering as we are now painting the frame and all the frameparts after sandblasting from the Sierra

View attachment 906561

a lot of more small parts than the chevy....

View attachment 906562
after search for the right Double CV Cardan Head and the costs was we end up by purchase a new driveshaft in Germany by US-Army-Military-Shop.
Usually the shop is much more expensive than importing myself, but in that case it was cheaper.

View attachment 906565

This shaft will be shorten bei Elbe Gelenkwellen, at the end cheaper than import a new Head and rebuild a complete new driveshaft.

View attachment 906566

we also paint the old exhaust tubes after derusting with exhaust paint Mipatherm - this should be save them again for a while. Maybe we find later a solution for our exhaust system
Looks real nice! What do you use for chassis paint after sandblasting?

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks real nice! What do you use for chassis paint after sandblasting?
Epoxy-Zinq Primer 2 layers and Black 383 2 layers
Finally will be done the cavity protection with Fluid Film Liquid A underbodyprotection with Perma Film
Both Trucks got the same procedure in Restoration.
The Sierra had got Ral 9005 black if we not had 3 kg remain of Black 383. So we used this and bought additional 4 kg to have enough paint.
On the frame alone is 3 kg Primer and 3 kg Black. Axles, leafsprings and all brackets got additional 2 kg paint
The Sierra Frame, Axles, leafsprings..is bigger with a lot of more brackets than the chevy.

Last edited:

87cr250r

The epoxy zinc on blasted metal is by far the best route but if you're patching up you're existing coatings under your truck there is a product from Daubert called Nox-Rust 121B. This is the "wax" coating used by GM on some of their frames. It's suitable for marginally prepared surfaces. It's reasonably priced.

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The epoxy zinc on blasted metal is by far the best route but if you're patching up you're existing coatings under your truck there is a product from Daubert called Nox-Rust 121B. This is the "wax" coating used by GM on some of their frames. It's suitable for marginally prepared surfaces. It's reasonably priced.
Recommondations are always welcome and be checked from us.
We found some old coatings on hidden spots so i guess the truck was delivered with a coating but it dont survive the years out of care here.
In the past was here often used a bitumen based coating for underbodyprotection.
Someone done this also on some spots on the Sierra Frame.
Here is the Info from the manufactorer of Permafluid.
I hope after all the work on the frames and both bodies/beds will be with the best cavety and underbodyprotection i can find hopefully end of rust for our live😇 Be sure we will have a strong check on new rust. Both frames have still visible rustscars that mean also if you do your best the seed for new rust is set already. If it blow is dependend on an again defect coating. We dont overpaint rust. All was sandblasted and free of visible rust before painting.

87cr250r

The Nox-Rust product is a newer technology based on gelled calcium sulfonate. It resembles a wax or bitumen coating but it is not. The gelled calcium sulfonate coatings are not oily so they don't mess with painted surfaces but they also don't soak into crevices like the Fluid Film products do.

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Nox-Rust product is a newer technology based on gelled calcium sulfonate. It resembles a wax or bitumen coating but it is not. The gelled calcium sulfonate coatings are not oily so they don't mess with painted surfaces but they also don't soak into crevices like the Fluid Film products do.
Thanks for your really good description about the differences.
We want use expecially the feature "soaks into crevices".
FAQs of Fluidfilm
The Problem is if you have to repair later something where is fluid film used as cavity protection. You have to clean any surface very carefully before painting.
Also to have a longtime protection you have to combinate the Products.

We are still not at the point of cavety and underbodyprotection. So we can still change our mind of this product.

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got today the quotation for the new driveshafts
Rear complete new rebuild with all yokes and universaljoints 800 Euro
Shorten/balancing the new front driveshaft (570Euro) 250 Euro
that mean a summery of 1620 Euro for the new driveshafts

I had expect around 2000 Euro for these both parts
Sure much cheaper by using the stock shafts, but i want hold them in stock of the original drivetrain.
So i have to spent that money

AB_23-201853 - 1.png

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After I couldn't get a gearbox for the speedo drive anywhere I ordered the cable adapter from Dakota.
Works better than expected. Now I just need to make a bracket for the end of the adapter with the sensor so that the end does not start swinging due to rotation.
20230929_164727z.jpg
20230930_104714z.jpg

20230930_110117.jpg

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found the time to customize a bracket of scrap material
Will be paint with the next painting job

IMG-20231007-WA0006.jpg IMG-20231007-WA0001.jpg

We does not work on the Chevy in our Summerholidays...
Before sandblasting

20230819_131247.jpg

After sandblasting, Epoxy-Zinq-Primer and final Paint in Black

20230914_103455 (2).jpg

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wanted to finish the cooling system and must notice i had forget that our engine is rebuild as 6.5
This have not the same waterhose connection like the 6.2 🙈

20231014_100842.jpg

I will order a waterhose for a 6.5 and not force this hose on the connections

20231014_122358.jpg
the lower end is the same

20231014_125553.jpg

Heater is also connected - dont worry about the wiring, this is still in work of our son to connect all of Dacota digital and TCM/Compushift. If all is correct done than the wiring will be set proper in hoses in the enginecompartment.

Needed around an hour thinking about the water nozzles for the windshield
Didnt found on the internet any picture which show their position well.
After an hour thinking i went upstairs and pick up the metal cover rofl

20231014_141330.jpg

20231014_140808.jpg

If you use aftermarket fenders than you run also in the issue that the waterbottle will not have mounting points. We use a bracket to bring it in

20231014_145141z.jpg

Still waiting for the Lokar cable shifter to finish the Transmission build. Should be here end of october.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks