• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rebuilding after 15 years of storage

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love my Volvo Estate - not more that big cargo volume like the old 9 series which pack a 1x2 m bed mattress but still big enough to sleep inside or pack a brushguard...

20220827_183245.jpg

Fuelcosts 140 Euro for the 820 km Trip and 2,14 Euro / 1 Liter Diesel and a whole day lost.
I couldnt find as a privat a General cargo forwarder otherwise i had use them.
The most just work only with commercial companies here.
Nevertheless the seller is a commercial companie but doesnt want deal as such. He made this job as private person ;-)
So if we wanted that part we had to drive ourself.
Fortunately, the highways were clear and we were able to return home quickly.

I have still some big parts on my purchase list which should go with an importeur by container on sea. This of course arrives in the customs port like Hamburg 300 km or if I am lucky Bremerhaven 260 km. Still not that far away but it is usually the time it need to drive that trip not the fuelcosts what make it hard for me to manage.

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Round pattern 205 with 32 spline long input? Will that work with the stock 208 adapter?
Until i dont got a No Go from the engineer for roadapproval with history classification is our solution the 6.2 remanucactored with an 4L80e build after 1997 and the NP205 and 2 new driveshafts as the NP205 have a fix yoke we want use. The adapter should be a new one with a speedsensor for the 4L80e.
The goal is to have the history classification with minor changes with more useful drivetrain for us but having the original always in stock to change on 100% stock configuration if our son will sell the truck when he got him ofter we left this world. So the TH400 will stay like the NP208 with adapter and driveshafts in store.
The most value is on classic cars in 100% stock configuration.

Keith_J

Great plan! That is my eventual goal on my M1031. It has a rare NP205 with 90mm input bearing and long 32 spline female. What makes it odd is the figure 8 mating flange. I have the correct adapter, just trying to find a good transmission.

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keith_J you have some transmission companies in the US that use the 4L80e in all variations with appropriate equipment on the application focus. Here in Germany, that's a bit more cumbersome but also possible. It will only be expensive if there is no core or overhaulable transmission. If one must buy thus a complete transmission again like us. . We have prices from 4000-6000 euros including controller for a remanuctored 4x4 4L80e in Heavy duty configuration with towing focus.
Another thought of mine was to use a TH700R4 transmission. I have already overhauled one myself from a van like the TH400 from our M1008.
But the TH700R4 transmissions are weaker. There are now remanuctoring kits for more load but whether they hold what a 4L80e promises I can not assess.
Transmission and Transfercase will be start after we have finally our engine back.

Actually last weekend the cargobox should be primed and next saturday it should be mounted on the truck again. Unfortunately, this did not work out - due to other duties. Once the cargobox is on we can disassemble the Sierra so that the frame can be sandblasted. A transport is more relaxed in stable dry weather.

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Off frame restoration with simulated Desert Tan field painting?
😇 no its just primer and as the box cover the back from the cab are these surfaces just painted carc green 383 as you will not come between this area by mounted box. I know that some others also paint the box off the frame. We prefer on the frame as mounting will be not an easy job without lifting tools. I dont want damage the painting just by mounting.

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The inner fenders were still provided with "Steinschlagschutz" from Mipa and the box is now ready to go back on the chassis.

Fender.png

mipa.jpg

Our choice was the first time Mipa
Mipa Underbodyprotection - Steinschlagschutz
easy to applicate with air gun and low pressure (2,5 bar/36psi) but also avialable as rattle can
can be also painted over

The finish in underbodyprotection and Cavety Sealing will be done with products from Permafilm
It is also the first choice for us in that product.
Permafilm Underbodyprotection

Unfortunately, my son was not able to install the electrics last week as planned. For this reason, I am now continuing with the electrical system.
The whole thing is much more convenient when the Cargobox is not yet mounted.
Start at the front... just check if all is on place before take all in the cable cover, the same for dashboard and rear.
My son had all prepare well after checking all cables
Only one cable was detected as "bad" => it was hide in the cable cover

IMG-20220911-WA0001[1].jpg

repair was not von us - so it must be a repair during army service.
Even if it should have been a field repair ... something like that is dangerous. We can be glad that this has held until today without torching the truck

20220911_140625.jpg

20220911_150216.jpg

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steinschlagshutz? I love the German language, literally stone impact protection, all in one word.
Just like gloves are hand shoes in German.
Yes we have a lot of funny words, and i always try not to translate by the meaning of the word.
Steinschlagschutz = Stone beat protection rofl

impact = Wirkung, Auswirkung, Aufprall

Last edited:

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still a lot of progress in prepare painting.
The most is done and the final painting should be done on the 1st october if we can finish all preparejobs.

Thanks Rutjes :beer:we have now also a second skinplate for the tank on the right side. Needing just a little bit customizing
already primed now

20220921_134525.jpg 20220921_134808.jpg

all the "small" parts in and outside are in work now

20220914_132202 (2).jpg 20220914_105839.jpg

20220914_110806.jpg

painting is really timeconsuming... specially of different colors, just now primer and black - green is waiting in the queue

we found finally also the old cabs as you remember the surface of the new warn cabs should not be destroyed just for painting

20220917_102917.jpg

20220917_105932.jpg

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First try with matt clear varnish
works great

20220922_094255z.jpg

we used Black 383 and matt clear varnish from Militaerlacke.de

the skidplates are now ready and fixed

20220927_114413 (2).jpg

and the interieur is now in the upholstery for leather covering of bench with improved padding (harder on the edges), sunvisors, doorpanels and dashpad.
We used leather middel red from mercedes as it fitted 99% in Color

20220927_095509 (2).jpg

Leather middelred

it is a lot of work just now in prepare the painting.
the best result shown up if you do the whole job with wet sanding. I start usually with 400er, 600er and final with 1000er.
Saturday will be the great showdown with painting.
I hope all will work without problems

Last edited:

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@flyfishtrailer cant wait to have him back on the road.
We are fixing just now with enginebuilder the rebuild of the old 6.2 engine with all recommedated improvements to prevent again an enginedamage of heat.
Still not a cheap issue but not that expensive costs like for the P400.
Now we can look for a remanufactored 4L80e as the the cherry of the top of our rebuild.

Neighbour of our shop ask about the costs and the power of both trucks. He drives a Nissan Pickup.... 🤐

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks