• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rebuilding FAV #91

signalcorps

My first FAV was #90 and I loved it but had to sell it to repair my house. Sorry I did. I just found another project FAV. It is number 91 and I hope to get started in about 4 weeks. It is completly apart and missing only a couple things so I can take my time putting it back together.

Does anyone have an original top weapons mount? If you do, what is it made of? Pictures I have seen look like it 2x2 or maybe 2x3? Anyone know?

I will start putting photos up once I get it delivered in 2 weeks. Should be a great project.

Attachments

signalcorps

It arrived on tuesday and I have done an inventory of parts. The only big item missing is the fenders and the front fender brackets. Everything else is there but needs rebuilding like the brakes, CV joints and seats. It was last on the road in 2009 in Arizona.

Attachments

Crapgame

No post 9th ID heavy weapons mount for passenger so safe to say was not a Wackenhut Security car in its last enlistment?

signalcorps

No post 9th ID heavy weapons mount for passenger so safe to say was not a Wackenhut Security car in its last enlistment?

The paint is applied over full camo by a previous owner (OD green, brown and Tan paint coming thru the white paint in several places) in California who turned it into a dune buggy. At least from 2001-2009 it had California off-road tags and still has stickers on frame. Holes are drilled in the top rails for the weapon mount and it had the Smoke launcher but the owner removed it. It was saved and came with vehicle.

Attachments

Crapgame

When you get to it, can you identify this Mystery Automotive Electronics Box in your front/dash wire harness? 12v flasher ?
Mystery Auto Electric.jpg

Crapgame

I also got a nice new original in the box Smoke launcher.
That silver box mixed in with the wire harness is a relay/fuse etc component of the Sea Dog Light Control Panel? Looks like you will need a copy of the Engine Protection System sub panel for your dash, too. I need to get a copy of the entire dash.

LVOSS:

Nice score, those condoms are nearly impossible to find. I would put those away, in a controlled temp/UV environment. Sunlight, heat and UV bouncing off the pavement destroys rubber. When you can find those condoms they are $17+ each.
For the 2 LVOSS Launchers mounted on the windshield of Special Forces GMV Ground Mobilty Vehicle HMMWVs I make 1000d Cordura Nylon dust covers that covers all 4 barrels, held snug by bungee or 550 cord, patterned from a NIW original I found. and I will be trying to use same pattern to make OD vinyl version for earlier vehicle. Even for just preventing the annoying sound in the wind or for protecting the unit during transport.
LVOSS Cordura Cover Mk1 Mod0.jpg

signalcorps

Yes. I will need a Engine protection panel for sure. I really like your Launcher cover. Great idea. When I had my first FAV on display, everyone would "pop" the rubber covers in. It was like a game to see how quick I could pop them back out before someone else came along and popped them in. I am now on the hunt for a launcher switch.
For now I am just going to make a new metal cover where the boat unit is. They cut out the military light switch harness and made a real mess of the wiring. They also cut all the wires that went to the from except for the head lights.Without the id numbers on the wire it would take a lot of time to track them to the right light. A new m151A2 harness would be better. Several on EBAY now.

Last edited:

signalcorps

A friday update. I didn't actually do anything to the FAV this week because I am seldom home. But... I bought and received the following parts. All of these were thru EBAY .

2 new IR headlights (will be converted to 12 volt regular bulbs)
2 new front turn signals from M151
2 new rear brake lights from M151
1 new B.O. light for front
1 new front M151 wiring harness
1 new rear M151 wiring harness
4 Lvoss smoke launcher tube caps
1 M2 50 Cal waterproof cover with ammo box provision. (need a M2 50 can replica now)
1 CVC Crew helmet and headset
1 CVC-VIC1 breakaway cable
1 MT-1029 radio mount
1 am-2060 radio mount for RT-77/RT-25
1 mt-1898 Radio mount for R-442 radio

Broke now but I have a very long Christmas wish list !

Last edited:

Crapgame

Even the longest journey starts with the very first step.

Sorry I'm not right down the street from you.

Is that boat light switch panel installed overtop the original Engine Protection System panel? And does your dashboard still have any or did it ever have any of the aluminum warning tags or the FTL overhaul tag?

Once I get my parts I'm following the Mogman Roadmap to FAVdom, remove all the parts, pay somebody else to media blast then primer the frame, in black for my specific case. (they were delivered in black by Chenowth then base coat 34079 flat Olive Drab then the MERDC colors applied) While the frame is being stripped then primed, I'll start on the fiberglass body panels. She'll look purty while waiting on a 6 rib and 1984cc.

I just pray I don't have the same trouble Mogman had with the rear torsion bars and the same rust issue Lawdog had with the transaxle mount/tubes.

signalcorps

Even the longest journey starts with the very first step.

Sorry I'm not right down the street from you.

Is that boat light switch panel installed overtop the original Engine Protection System panel? And does your dashboard still have any or did it ever have any of the aluminum warning tags or the FTL overhaul tag?

Once I get my parts I'm following the Mogman Roadmap to FAVdom, remove all the parts, pay somebody else to media blast then primer the frame, in black for my specific case. (they were delivered in black by Chenowth then base coat 34079 flat Olive Drab then the MERDC colors applied) While the frame is being stripped then primed, I'll start on the fiberglass body panels. She'll look purty while waiting on a 6 rib and 1984cc.

I just pray I don't have the same trouble Mogman had with the rear torsion bars and the same rust issue Lawdog had with the transaxle mount/tubes.

That is so true. When I was restoring Fav #90 I spent a lot of time preparing to do something on it for fear of doing it wrong or damaging it. There wasnt a lot of info on FAVS back then. That was 12 years ago. When I contacted the Fort Lewis Museum and got a few docs from FOIA requests then I really got started getting things done. It still took 1 year to put it back together and get it tagged and driveable but it was worth it. This time, on FAV #91, I have a lot of past experience and information and especially the right tools to get it done. But you still have to take that first step.

Crapgame

A little more done this week. I only have 1 or 2 hours a week to work on my FAV but I try to make the most of it. I managed to sand and prime the front beam and get it mounted. I also mounted the steering rack . The front brakes will be next.
How did you make out with the front beam torsion bars? I'm hoping at least your rear trailing arm torsion bars are good, so you don't have to go through what Mogman did. I'da thrown a crescent (tm) wrench when the first 3/8" thick plate bent trying to pull them out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks