• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rebuilding kingpins!

Croatan_Kid

I finally got around to it today after work, I start at about 7 and quit around 10, then from 10 until about 12 I was using my parts washer :roll: Lots of dirty mess in them hubs and what not!

The actual process of replacing the upper kingpin was very easy! I slipped in my big arese allen wrench, put a 3 foot jack handle over the end of it and yanked. The driver's side one popped right loose and I unthreaded it the rest of the way by hand. The new one went in covered in anti-seize and I yanked on the jack handle until it stopped turning.

We'll see how the passenger side goes either tomorrow or Tuesday. I'm taking the rotors to work and turning them, getting new hub seals, and another set of brake pads since one of mine decided to break!

Pics probably tomorrow night :D

AJMBLAZER

Someone on Pirate had a pretty ingenius method of getting that huge torque on the kingpins...can't remember how though. Mine haven't given me trouble so I haven't even looked at them.

Croatan_Kid

The problem I was having was wearing the inside edge of the front tires....I'm not sure if this is going to fix it (I hope it does!), but I've had the rebuild kits for quite a while now and it's not costing anything other than my time to do it. I needed to pull the hubs apart, there was lots of dirty crap in there and I wanted to check out the wheel bearings.

If I had the money, I would also be upgrading to 35 spline stub shafts, Spicer 5-806x u-joints and some Warn Premiums! :D

Croatan_Kid

Ehh....the only picture I thought to take. :roll: That and both batteries for the camera were dead :x

You get the idea. Also, if I let all the air out of my tires, it'll fit in my shop!!!!! :D Yes, I have 7 foot tall doors, so AJM, there's hope for you yet!

AJMBLAZER

Eh, with the new shocks I have and the grooved and siped front tires (still have to do the rears) I'm actually pretty happy with how it rides and handles now. Maybe after we move I'll do something with the suspension.

Croatan_Kid

I just couldn't believe I had never thought to just let the air out of the tires before. It's kind of a pain because of the massive volume of air needed to fill up the tires to a mere 30 front and 25 rear PSI.

AJMBLAZER

That has been suggested to me before. "Just let the air out of the tires."

However it would probably be bad for the tires to have them sit there for a week or two at a time with no air in them only to have to air them up to drive the truck and then air them back down to get it back in the garage.

Croatan_Kid

Yeah, I only did it for a few hours. I forget that you park yours inside your garage, all I need is to be able to pull mine in the shop to work on it so I can get out of the cold, the wind, the cold wind, or rain. :roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks