Rebuilding the Injection pump

Steel Soldiers is supported by:

Thanks, Rusty, and others for this valuable thread. I have 2 questions regarding the injector pump, which might be off-topic for this thread.

1) I found the motor oil level in my deuce was rising, and I asked on another thread, and was told the probable cause was the hydraulic head (HH) had to be resealed, so I ordered a seal kit, and resealed it. I found no change in the chronic rising of the crankcase oil level, so I ordered an unused and newer model of the deuce IP. I found the chronic rising of the crankcase oil level continued.

So, the question is: "Since I do not run gasoline in my deuce, other than it blended with waste oils, is it reasonable to conclude that the fuel making its way into my crankcase is coming from the oil line that goes to the IP from the engine oil line? If so, how does everybody feel about disconnecting the oil supply to the IP, and connect the IP's oil line to the fuel return line, assuming that diesel fuel has sufficient lubricity to properly lubricate the IP? I I think is most likely does.

2) My second question is" I made the mistake of following a thread that was here, and does not seem to be anymore, which recommended cranking up the fuel flow of the IP to increase power of the deuce engine. In the process, I ended up breaking a component of the FDC causing my deuce engine now to run at high idle, which surely uses a horrific amount of fuel.

So, the question is: Can I simply remove the top cap of the FDC to pull the parts assembly of the FDC off my old injector pump and pull the cap off the top of my new IP and use tweezers to pull out all of the FDC parts that fell into the IP, and then put the FDC assembly from my old IP into the new IP, and expect to have fixed this problem?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Beyond, there are 4 ways fuel can make its way into the crankcase. The HH is one of them.

If you replaced the IP completely, you also replaced the booster pump, so you can likely eliminate that as the source. Flame heater, FDC?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The oil line that comes off the block and goes to the IP feeds the IP the oil it needs. Leave it alone or as said they both could stand to be replaced if never done but has nothing to do with fuel in oil.
I do not know what you have done to your FDC and dropping parts inside? What did you do? Is your FDC bypassed if not it needs to be done. Yes booster pump is a good place to get fuel into the oil if you have done replaced O rings in Head and fuel control unit assembly. Also do away with the flame heater and block off flame heater fuel line.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Now I' even more confused:

The droop screw, which can only rest against the stop plate, and keep the fulcrum lever from moving further towards the ''increase fuel'' position, does two things that are exactly the opposite?:

(Floridianson)
Makes sense:

The pressure inside the FDC only changes when a different fuel is used.
The pressure inside the FDC is the same regardless of engine speed, and does not change during engine operation.

How can the stop plate move during operation? And how would movement of the stop plate cause surging?

This already is my understanding of the droop screw's, and governor's, function. It is, basically, what i learned back when I was an apprentice at M.A.N.

Thanks. I'll see if I can access the manual at work.
Just for smitts and giggles I looked at the TM. Correct FDC only should move when fuel changes and on start up. Now if we go by the TM fuel goes to a pressure regulating valve as per TM that is 20 /21psi. So even at idle where we have a minimum of 30 psi or high idle 60 psi it will not be over 20 / 21 psi in the servo not 60 psi at servo.

Attachments

Last edited:

frank8003

Steel Soldiers Supporter
rustystud has rebuilt many FDC, listed all failure modes and the actual way it works.
His posting are in here someplace.

Last edited:
Beyond, there are 4 ways fuel can make its way into the crankcase. The HH is one of them.

If you replaced the IP completely, you also replaced the booster pump, so you can likely eliminate that as the source. Flame heater, FDC?
I've replaced the injector pump, which means the booster pump has been replaced, and the flame heater died, so it has been removed, but I don't see how it could be a source of fuel entering the crankcase.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
As per some you can check the booster with just the in tank pump and it's low pressure if the seal is real bad. TM tells us we need to push 60 psi through it to check for a failing seal with it removed from the IP. Unused to me is old rubber and still might be your cause. As for you asking about replacing inside parts on your installed IP. If you have one on the bench you could take the four bolts and lift the FDC up a bit and see if the rod that connects the wedge plate to the servo has a locking pin. I can not remember. If not then you should be able to disconnect the FDC servo from the wedge plate and see inside. I am guess you broke the stud off of the main fuel wedge plate. It might be tuff to replace it when IP is still installed on the truck. I have never tried it but I also have never broken the twin nut stud. It has been done and I even sent the OP the part to fix his broken wedge plate stud but I did not hear how he did it. I do not know why some of my post is under lined. aua

Last edited:

brianp454

I'm rebuilding a spare hydraulic head to swap it and the booster pump onto my engine when I'm confident they are as good as new. There's some kind of sleeve down inside under the 12 point screw that I haven't been able to fish out and clean. It seems to be held in by the oil on the back side. See pic. It turns with no force and a magnet cannot pull it out. Anyone ever removed this? What's behind it?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks