• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rebuilding the starter

2deuce

I would like to learn how to rebuild the starter. Is there a kit? I need a new gear. Whats the secret in getting the gear off?
Thanks,
Greg

kenny

I wish I knew about that 37 dollar kit before I paid 200 for a rebuilder to do mine.
That more than likely would have made mine work just fine
But the shop did change every thing except the black outer steel case.

dieselpony

The kit says Delco 37MT starter. Aren't our original starters the 27MT type?

AFAIK:
27MT = direct drive
28MT = gear reduction

Both available in 12 and 24v version.

37MT from the link is the direct drive, at least this is what the description says. :D

Walter

jeepin

One piece of advice, before diving in and rebuilding one of these starters, check the nose cone very carefully for cracks. Sometimes swapping the core is a cheaper way to go (I can show you the t-shirt I got for this)

beanman1

ok my nose cone is good starter worked good yesterday morning went to fire it up yesterday afternoon and nothing u can tap on the strter and get a lilbit out of it maybe i need new brushes but is this kit for the gear reduction or the direct drive

2deuce

The mt 37 is the direct drive, but you can get kits for the gear reduction starter also. There seems to be 2 or three styles of the 37mt. You probably better have it off before you order anything. I had one of these starters go bad because the armature was shorting on the mounting bolts as it turned. Then had a second one go bad, it would just grind. When I took the grinding one apart the lever the solenoid uses to engage the starter to the flex plate was broke and the drive gear was damaged The mounting bolts were insulated at the same spot where the armature was arcing on my other starter. I made one out of the 2. I ordered a new flex plate before I took things apart thinking that was my problem but I was happy it was only the starter, but I also have a flex plate, I hope I will never need. So don't make the mistakes I did. Take it apart and inspect everything first. I ordered the parts first thinking that the parts will be here when I have the time for the job, it ended up costing me extra.
Greg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks