• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rebuilt trans in 818, or just swap to another?

Hammer

Ok, so the syncros in my 818 are not the greatest. 3rd gear doesn't really HAVE much of syncros. And I have a feeling that there are a few teeth issues on the gears. I KNOW how to shift without the clutch, and it doesn't really help on 3rd gear.

So, I am tempted to pull the trans and rebuild it, but something tells me I might spend less $ in the long run to just swap another trans into it. I see the NEW one listed by Ranchhopper, but shipping just adds more money to something I don't have a lot of right at the moment for 'toys'.

Honestly, I would LOVE a different trans that doesn't have the huge gap between 3-4. But I don't have the coin right now to chase down all the 'extras' that always go along with a swap like that.

I don't have any problems with rebuilding a trans, but I have to wonder what the cost difference would be between all the parts for mine, or just getting another trans altogether?

Hammer

Well, that price would be hard to beat!
And yeah, his place isn't going to be that far from me now that I am up here :)
Forgot about him having all those parts. Thanks Mike!

Of course, I would pull this one apart after I have another one in it's place. I would be too curious NOT to mess with it.

Hammer

Not much for options because of the size of the current transmission, and needing room for the front drive shaft.
There are a few transmissions that will work for clearance, but they are longer, and will require moving the tcase back some. And the rear drive shaft is fairly short, and the front tandem can have some pretty serious amounts of travel (more then you would think possible for a truck this size! )

Now, if there were a magical 7 speed that would fit in the stock location, make up for the missed gear between 3 and 4, have a second OD gear so stock tired trucks could run a decent speed on the road, everyone would be all over swapping over to it.
I haven't heard of one that will fit that bill.
Heck, with a decent enough OD setup, I wouldn't mind running smaller tires even. But with the 16.00s on mine, I can CRUISE at 65 mph. The motor isn't wound out, and I have a little room to move around mph wise. And when I cruise at 55 mph, the truck feels 'relaxed'.

Oh, no worries on the hi-jack. All good info, but there isn't a GOOD swappable tranny that I know of that fits my description (that I know anyways).

Someone, anyone, prove that statement wrong and NOW would be a good time to speak up! I would LOVE a better gear box!

bigelk50

I heard from Mike that Brad has almost nothing left. I know he was getting out of everything. And Mike said his mind might be going too.

bigelk50

Ed, Sounds like you are onto something about the 7 speed. Guess time to start building them and go into business your self. wink wink

Hammer

If only! That would be a nice thing to do, but I would barely have time to swap the tranny, let alone all the work for getting a 7 speed setup up and running (at least for the time being).