• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recent Goat threads/interests.

BillIdaho

As Goat owner myself, I just want to say it certainly is refreshing to see the recent increase in Goat postings. As I've said before, I sure do miss the old GamaGoat.com (no offense to the SS site).

I really do believe Goats are a special breed of MVs. Of all the MVs I own, the Goat is my favorite.
Kinda like the ol' American Motors Gremlin.
I have some Goat parts laying around, and whilst I'm thinking about it, I have two radio mount plates. They bolt under the MT1029 mount. Hard to find, I had these made using a real one as a pattern.

Keep it up guys.

BillIdaho

How rude of me. I have what appears to be the only restored communications model-without an S250 shelter. When I bought it, it had a bunch of holes drilled into the carrier seat area (which as we all know extra holes are common to military vehicles....Bubba must have attacked this one prior to my appropriation).
I did a history search on my particular Goat, and learned that specific one was indeed a communication variation, except, for whatever reason, a shelter wasn't in the picture. Therefore, all those holes I welded shut.........................turned out to be where the radios were mounted! At least I knew what went where!
Anyway, I searched the world over and after a handful of years, found all the right/proper radio and antenna mounts. After much gnashing of the teeth, about 5 wallets full of money, and countless busted knuckles (with the exception of 1 lousy stinking cable) it was finished a few years ago.
If anyone needs anything Goat communication specific, let me know. I will help in any way I can.

BillIdaho

Computers and I don't really get along. Posting pictures exceeds the capabilities of my web-fu.
The next time my daughter comes over, (she is the family computer geek), I will run it by her.

I would love to post pictures of my Goat. I haven't done much in my life I can brag about, but the back half of my Goat looks pretty good, if I don't mind saying so myself.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wish I still lived in ID Bill (for more reasons than one). I'd love to drop by and see your Goat. Unfortunately when I'm back it's always north of Grangeville so doubt that's going to happen any time soon.

m38inmaine

My carrier has the issue radio mount base attached to the RH seat, the antenna mount is missing, you can see where it was as the paint is od instead of the camo. I would like to find the antenna bracket for the front of the carrier to replace the missing one. Would enjoy seeing pictures of your goat as well.

Attachments

Last edited:

BillIdaho

m38inmaine, that is the uber rare, made out of unobtainium, Goat radio shelf I was talking about. (There are actually two widths, that one appears to be the narrow one of the two.) The MT1029 mount bolts to that shelf. As I recall, that shelf should also have the holes pre-drilled for the mounting plate for the GRC 106, but I may be wrong. Now that I think about it, the wider shelf is/was drilled for that radio mount. I would have to go outside and uncover mine to see. Both shelves should be drilled for the MT1898 mount for the R442 as well.

And based on the paint in the other picture, it looks like that particular corner had the proper angle mount. (Kind of like a MUTT corner angle piece, but considerably larger.) Those are a little easier to find. Word of caution---- I have seen several times people that have very similar corner angle mounts for sale at MV shows, claiming to be for a Goat, but upon closer inspection, they are actually early HUMMVE antenna mounts. (Ask me how I found that out!)
The rear outer corner antenna mounts are really tough to locate. (Man, I wish I was techno-geek savvy enough to post photos!!!) There was a guy in Ephrata Washington (who I think has since passed away) that had a few. Another person told me his yard is now a bare field.
The hardest antenna mount (in my case) to find was/is the front driver's side fender mount. It is aluminum, kind of looks like a few other mounts, but is Goat specific. I actually ran across that one at Lodi a few years ago. The guy had no idea what it was for.

combat32

Looks like mine never had a radio installed, probably won't go there myself but I could see the value of installing a vic 1 system.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks