• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recent M1008 Projects

Gonzomatic

I have been glued to this site ever since I got my ’86 M1008 a year and a half ago. I really can’t say enough about how helpful everyone is and the sheer volume of knowledge contained here. After my first trip to NAPA and the glazed stare I get when I say ‘It’s kinda like an ’86 K30’ I dove deep into the bowels of this site and had to agree keeping the truck 12/24 stock was in fact the way to go.

All that having been said I thought I’d post some pictures of my most recent projects. There have been a whole slew of mechanical problems. The truck ate the driver’s side locking hub so I lost 4WD for a while. I replaced them with the Warn quarter turn model (not cheap).

I have since replaced the entire steering system (pump, box, hydroboost and stabilizer) and fitted bigger tires that I got for a steal. They’re 295/75/16s by the way and they JUST fit with no suspension or body lift. My shop tenant is a metal worker and has all the tools and scrap plate needed to fab a trailer receiver hitch and a mount for a HF 12K winch (it’s not as bad as you’d expect). Other Unfinished projects include installing an LMC exhaust and recovering the dash pad, among everything else the truck needs. I'm just happy when it starts and gets me into the woods.

Hopefully these pictures will load up. I’ll do a test as I’m not much of a computer hacker. Once again, thanks to everyone on this site who contributes to maintaining these trucks. Cheers, Gonz. PS, I’m looking to paint the truck. Does anyone have a good handle on whether one gallon of 383 CARC would cover the whole exterior minus inside the bed. I feel like it has to, but I’d hate to run out halfway through.

Attachments

Gonzomatic

Winch type

Thanks! It's a Harbor Freight 12K (Badlands). I've always been down on them, but it was on sale for something like $320. I couldn't pass it up. I've used it a fair amount and I have to say it's pretty good. Usually I'm pulling down hung up trees in the woods and skidding logs out so I haven't put tons of weight on it, but it pulled my 2700# tractor out of the mud after a friend stuck it hard. I have pulled for a few minutes and it doesn't even really get hot. I recommend it. A synthetic rope would be nice. It tends to tear up its own cable when it spools.

I've found with any used vehicle that they run pretty well once you replace every major component. My motor seems solid (jinxed myself), it smokes a little on the passenger side at start up, nothing major.

Dukeboy

I like your winch install, did you bolt or weld to the frame? your fabbed piece looks like it could replace the front crossmember altogether, gives me an idea actually.

GPrez

Looks good. I have been contemplating how I wanted to mount my winch and I'm really digging how you did yours.

How did the LMC exhaust work out? Did it match up to the factory exhaust or did it require modification?

Gonzomatic

I was looking at the ORD winch bumper, but for what it was it was expensive. My mount bolts in using all four of the factory bolts that hold on the shackle stubs. I figure if it ties both of the frame horns together then there's no need to weld it in.

I obviously had to cut the bumper but all the bolts for the bumper mounts were still usable so I just sectioned out the middle. I was contemplating hiding the winch up behind the bumper, but if you actually use your winch it will eventually get jammed up and you really need to watch it to make sure it spools on evenly. I do need to gusset in and C channel the rear of the mount now that I know exactly where the winch mounts up. There is about a 1/2" of clearance for the clutch lever.

As far as the LMC exhaust goes, I ordered the glass pack system for a '72 to '87 small block. I read on SS that it would bolt right up and it does. The manifolds are in fact in the same spot (way to think ahead GM). They sell it as for a 1/2 or 3/4 ton. That said, it's been a pretty decent PITA to install, largely because it's been raining and my driveway is gravel. The Parking brake and brake line bracket is in the way on the passengers side as well as all the factory hangers and the Pass side shock. I ended up burning out the rivets and taking all the factory hangers off. If you can get it to mount up to those, more power to you. I'm still in the middle of it, but I'm thinking now how worth the money a midas job might have been. Quality of the parts is very high. Smooth bends and it will fit, soon.

biggestc69

Nice lookin winch mount! I wish that I could have done mine a little cleaner like yours but its a MileMarker hyd and I have to be able to work the side levers.

tourus

great looking winch mount. like it alot. Now as far as the exaust system goes when I bought my 1010. I went to the local NAPA store told the guy I have an 85 K 30 Need exaust he took a minute look in a BOOK not a computer found it no prob. ordered it just under 400 for whole thing manifolds back with the glass packs love the bark.just go to the NAPA 80's k30 DON'T say a mil truck one can find almost anything he wants for it. I do all the time.

Gonzomatic

trailer hitch

Here's a picture of my trailer hitch. The bumper is so solidly mounted to the truck that I figured bolting/welding this plate to the bottom would be sufficient for most of my needs (maybe 4000#s)

Attachments

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bolt on receiver plate on a M1008 potential issues

Here's a picture of my trailer hitch. The bumper is so solidly mounted to the truck that I figured bolting/welding this plate to the bottom would be sufficient for most of my needs (maybe 4000#s)
I also have a receiver plate (not as long or with as many bolt holes - mine is just 4 bolt holes) on my M1008 that was installed by the previous owner(s). It was bolted on too with four bolts, but they took off the "L" shaped reinforcing bracket that goes behind the pintle hook (which was missing as well). Anyways, I obtained another pintle (thanks CSM Davis!) and that missing "L" bracket and rebolted everything to my receiver plate.

Now, the reason for this posting: the horizontal plate between the main rear bumpers was bent down and the welds broke free allowing a 1/4" gap from that plate and the bottom of the "L" bracket. I heated both sides of the horizontal plate and used a sledge hammer to beat it back up which closed the gap. When I get time, I plan to reweld the the horizontal plate back to the main bumpers...

So, be advised that your receiver plate will and should work, but if too much "activity" on the receiver happens, your bracket above the receiver plate may break at the welds too...

Sorry, away from my M1008 so I can't post pics to illustrate what I wrote.

Last edited:

Gonzomatic

Thanks for the tip. Pictures would be great as I can't quite visualize the issue , except that broken welds and towing equals bad news. I'll go over all the brackets again before pulling anything more than a deer rack. My bracket also bolts the 3/8 plate to the sheet metal bumbler in a few spots as well, tying even more steel together. That might minimize the problem you had.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks