• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recent MEP 802A report

bookpile

While I managed to get outbid on all of the recent MEP-802a that I was looking at. Most of them closed just higher than my $800 price range. I'm still curious to hear from anyone picking one up this week to see what kind of shape they were in. Add batteries, fluids, produce electricity?

ETN550

I can say out of the 88 or so that were offered only a few were really good. many were taken apart and then abandoned when they found too much wrong. That being said the Lister Petter / Onan engine is a $250.00 core and easily rebuildable for another application. These units are very civilized and a joy to own and operate but one in poor condition is way more work than an equivelent 002 in similar condition. A lot of screws and sheetmetal removal is required for access to just about anything.

Those prices were about what I expected based on what i saw in terms of condition. I was hoping that huge volume offered would have driven prices lower but there seems like no end to buyers.

max bowtie

Yeah I was trying to pick one of those up as well. I was hoping that they would have been cheaper due to the volume being sold but... Guess I'll just keep looking

TurboJoe

Well I'm heading down to pick up three of them. Spent a lot of time looking at pictures, and there were a lot that seems like they were taken apart. I bid on ones that I thought were in better condition. Some of the better ones went for way more money then I was prepared to spend also. I was a bit amazed at how high they went given the amount of set available.

I'm in the generator industry so even if all of the electronics are shot I wouldn't care. My intention is to put some auto start controllers in them.

The base 2 cylinder diesel, and alternator end should be just fine. I'd imagine most of the issue is with the peripherals, gauges, AVRs, ect ect. I'll find out if it was a bust or a worth while gamble. I plan to R&D some autostart kits, and voltage regulator replacements for these sets.

bookpile

I noticed some had the top panels removed at some point which did worry me. But there were a lot that looked like everything was in place. Was there something you guys saw in person that couldn't be seen in the pictures that made the complete looking machines a bad deal? Why are the considered parts machines? I'm beginning to wonder if I should just hold on to my 002A.

Thanks

ETN550

What do you mean abandoned? I guess I'm glad I passed on those units.
Yeah, read on. When I see many that had all the screws gone on the top cover over the engine and some had engine mount bolts removed, these are not ready for service. Someone started dignosing or fixing and got the order to send them to auction. At that point they don't bother to screw the top back down.

ETN550

Well I'm heading down to pick up three of them. Spent a lot of time looking at pictures, and there were a lot that seems like they were taken apart. I bid on ones that I thought were in better condition. Some of the better ones went for way more money then I was prepared to spend also. I was a bit amazed at how high they went given the amount of set available.

I'm in the generator industry so even if all of the electronics are shot I wouldn't care. My intention is to put some auto start controllers in them.

The base 2 cylinder diesel, and alternator end should be just fine. I'd imagine most of the issue is with the peripherals, gauges, AVRs, ect ect. I'll find out if it was a bust or a worth while gamble. I plan to R&D some autostart kits, and voltage regulator replacements for these sets.
The engine is very good but must be set up right. Head gaskets are a typical problem but the replacements are revised design with no issues. The separate unit injection pumps are a pain to set up but they can be made close by equalizing exhaust temps between cylinders.

The fuel tanks frequently leak at the drain fitting at the bottom of the tank.

It's not that anything is hard to work on its just a billion screws and a ton of disassembly to get to just about anything.

But once lined out and set up they hum like a sewing machine and can go a long time. For a hobby they are great. But to really go through one and make it right, that can be tough if it on the clock type work. In this regard the best possible ones are the best to buy regardless of price.

I've had 2 one of which is now down to bare skid just because I want it like new.

Something else: The big selector switch for the meters often fails and is replaced with a switch that has 7 positions instead of 6. If the switch is not perfectly pointing at one of the settings on the panel then it was replaced with a 7 position switch. The switch is about $300.

ETN550

Overall, I think the prices were about right. the high dollar ones looked very good and accounted for maybe 10% of the units. The best ones in other auctons have fetched $1,750 - $2,500. I bought one for $1,750 years ago and it was pretty good. Got it all fixed up running perfect, load tested and sold for $3,200. The cost of transporting, auction fees, parts, filters, fluids, paint, selling fees, hauling to shippers, palatizing, wrapping, entertaining customers and offers takes a big cut. But its nice to be able to buy 2 more but its not a business to make a lot of money in. Very fun hobby though!

samsays

Some of them looked like a chicken at a BQ.. pick apart… many were missing assorted parts, panels and bolts…for me thats ok because i use them in a complete different application the problem is they went for top dollar..

BradBMI

Anyone know where I could find rebuild kits for the DN2M engine on a MEP-802a genset? Searched everywhere but no luck

Thanks

BrendanB

New to the forum, but pick up my 802a yesterday from meade. top panels were unbolted but other than that it was straight. The top exhaust port cover was missing so of course the exhaust and front cyl had water in them. I pulled the exhaust and pourd some of my speacial juice i use to free up motor in the exhaust port and slowly cranked by hand. after bypassing the missing secondary fuel filter and throwing some batts in her i got it started and it runs good. i am missing one of the relays behind the front panel and the before mentioned fuel filter housing but other than that all good. but i must agree with earlier posts i think i got pretty lucky, i was one of the first to pick up and got to see the other units and about half of them looked like they had been ran over!

TurboJoe

So I picked up my three from Meade, and after seeing them in person I now understand the comments from the previous posters that visited the site. These generators are a mess, I'm guessing thats the reason they are up for auction. This was only my second GL pickup, and its turning out to be a bit of a loss.

Of the three units I got one had a fire on the generator end, and the other two had missing exhaust flappers and water sitting to the top of the exhaust. All of the sets I saw by the one I picked up that were waiting to be picked up looked in similar condition most had missing flaps on the exhaust now that the snow is melted you can see. I guess that is why otherwise modern sets were turned in.

Time to rebuild and see what I can salvage!

avc8130

New to the forum, but pick up my 802a yesterday from meade. top panels were unbolted but other than that it was straight. The top exhaust port cover was missing so of course the exhaust and front cyl had water in them. I pulled the exhaust and pourd some of my speacial juice i use to free up motor in the exhaust port and slowly cranked by hand. after bypassing the missing secondary fuel filter and throwing some batts in her i got it started and it runs good. i am missing one of the relays behind the front panel and the before mentioned fuel filter housing but other than that all good. but i must agree with earlier posts i think i got pretty lucky, i was one of the first to pick up and got to see the other units and about half of them looked like they had been ran over!
Hey man, what's the special sauce?

I picked one up today and it was missing the exhaust flapper (as just about everyone on the entire base seemed to be!). I'm assuming I have water in at least one cylinder. I hope I'm as lucky as you in the long haul.

It was a rough lot it seemed. Things looked A LOT better in the pics than in person.

ac

bookpile

BrendanB, glad to hear it started. Did you just get the engine running or does it generate power too without that missing relay?
I was trying to avoid the ones that were missing flaps but that strategically placed snow made that tough. Good luck to everyone else getting their's started. This may deter me from bidding on the next round. But then again I'm sure the neighbors would love if I traded the MEP-002A in.

10Lugger

How did you bypass the secondary?

BrendanB

I bypassed the secondary with a combo of 1/4 push lock hose and brass barbed tees. Is not a fix it was just to get it running untill I can track down a housing. And if any one knows where I could get one that would be great! I guess il let my hillbilly trick out of the bag, I start with alcohol in the cyl and crank case to pull the moister out, then drain it and suck/ use a blow gun to get it out of the cyl ( I pulled the exhaust manifold and valve covers so I could push the valves open) then I put I combo of pb blaster and Atf fluid. The ATF has alot of detergent and oils in it and would work on its own but I use the pb blaster for extra help. let that stuff sit in the cyl for a couple hours then crank it back and forth by hand and see how you made out. may sound simple but it works! Iv got alot of motors free that had been frozen for years.
sorry im a little long winded

avc8130

I bypassed the secondary with a combo of 1/4 push lock hose and brass barbed tees. Is not a fix it was just to get it running untill I can track down a housing. And if any one knows where I could get one that would be great! I guess il let my hillbilly trick out of the bag, I start with alcohol in the cyl and crank case to pull the moister out, then drain it and suck/ use a blow gun to get it out of the cyl ( I pulled the exhaust manifold and valve covers so I could push the valves open) then I put I combo of pb blaster and Atf fluid. The ATF has alot of detergent and oils in it and would work on its own but I use the pb blaster for extra help. let that stuff sit in the cyl for a couple hours then crank it back and forth by hand and see how you made out. may sound simple but it works! Iv got alot of motors free that had been frozen for years.
sorry im a little long winded
Thanks for the tip!

I've used ATF before, but the alcohol sounds like a nice addition.

Maybe Turbo will wind up with a spare filter housing from the "fire" unit. That SUCKS.

ac