• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recent Mods & Repairs

ARYankee

I was looking for this thread so I could add some mods that I have done to my deuce instead starting another one. I bought some digicam fabric from Walmart and used it to recover the seats. I also bought some fog lights to put on the back for backup lighting. Here are some pics. I'm in the middle of replacing my seals and boots on my front axle. Once that is done I still have a few more things to add. I'll try and get some pics of my 12V fuse block system in the cab as well. BTW sorry about the mess in the cab but that is where I store my tools and parts while I'm working on the front axle.

Attachments

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
MVDATAPLATES isn't selling anything I need yet. Each time I call he says to try back in a month.

I have had the deuce out the last two weekends on trips - two weeks ago it was up in the mountains to Scout camp towing the Boy Scout Trailer. Once there I noticed that drop hitch angle was off a little bit. I think because I have such a big drop and my hitch was installed using the outer most holes (pushing it farther back) the torque from the drop moved the hitch ever so slightly. (not on the frame but on the adustable section of the hitch) An 1/8 inch or so as seen by the freshly exposed black paint (hitch was rattle canned tan) I don't think it was in an danger of failing since I used all new grade 8 bolts and not the crap that came with it, but I still plan on having everything welded up as well. After I got home from the trip I dropped the scout trailer and hooked up the M105 for Dirtbag. After getting everything done I found a leaky wheel cylinder on the front wheel. Glad it held up on that trip down the mountain with a Boy Scout riding shotgun. Pre and post inspections are the best way to find problems - not on the road.

Last weekend at Dirtbag was the 1st time out with all the jerry cans filled. Did a lot of offroading and no problems at all. Ended up using all of the gas for the quads and wishing I had more. The mud flap holders held up to the stress and weight of the cans. No fear of getting rear ended on the highway since I was buffered by a M105 trailer.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today's "mod" will make it a breeze on future recoverys. It will get rid of the hassle at the gate. :)

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Typical modern day modification! Stickers do not improve performance!fat lady sings

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Typical modern day modification! Stickers do not improve performance!fat lady sings
I beg to differ - now that it is tagged as a SNCO's truck it "feels" like I have double the horepower, triple the mileage and a smoother ride.

:driver:

If nothing else, getting beer at the package store with it just got a lot easier.

Last edited:

tm america

Nice job on the can holders. I've been wanting to put some on mine . I would be more worried about damaging them when i'm offroading than getting hit by a car. I ripped one can up already on a big tree branch. and it seems i kill the mud flaps on the sides of the deep holes i go though. Even with that being said i still want to do this mod

You need a bumper sticker I used to have on a really tall truck. It said "If you can't stop, smile as you go under." You might even add "Smile, wait for flash" with the fuel cans back there. 'Course most people know you can put a cigarette out in diesel, but the thought is still there... come to think of it, I think you can put a cigarette out in gasoline as well...

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've bent both mudflaps two years in a row at haspin. I think I know where, it is the same spot as gimpy's avatar pic. Gets really angled through there.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need a bumper sticker I used to have on a really tall truck. It said "If you can't stop, smile as you go under." You might even add "Smile, wait for flash" with the fuel cans back there. 'Course most people know you can put a cigarette out in diesel, but the thought is still there... come to think of it, I think you can put a cigarette out in gasoline as well...
Only one fuel can in the back - the other is water.

army70deuce

Just a quick question on mudflaps, has anyone removed the steel mudguards with the hanging rubber and just put one long hanging rubber flap down so they just move out of the way instead of the possibility of getting bent? I don't plan on mounting anything to them so I was just wondering if switching them out would just keep me from doing extra work later on bending them back into shape. Also are the flaps behind the fuel tank and spare tire carrier really necessary?

Stan Leschert

after CA freaked out over the nozzles and halted sales...
OK, I missed out on that one, what's it all about? Scepter makes replacement packs, and they can be ordered from any NAPA store.

If your state has a prohibition, just get someone in the next state to get them for you.

If you are really stuck, Canadian Tire.com can order and ship them as well.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I missed out on that one, what's it all about? Scepter makes replacement packs, and they can be ordered from any NAPA store.

If your state has a prohibition, just get someone in the next state to get them for you.

If you are really stuck, Canadian Tire.com can order and ship them as well.
In CA now you get the same old cans but a worthless no spill, non working (almost) nozzle. I just bought the nozzles I needed off of eBay and was good to go.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
New to the addiction

Are the data plates required or are they a historical restoration choice?
Weren't required in CA to register - the DMV inspector used the frame VIN number.

I just thought new looked better I guess. I'm not really doing a restoration.

rebel_raider

Also are the flaps behind the fuel tank and spare tire carrier really necessary?
Yes they are. At least behind the fuel tank they are. Without a flap there, any mud you go through will sling up and cover the top of the fuel tank. I don't know about you, but that doesn't look to be too good for it to me.