• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recent prices for 915's?

Geneseo1911

Anybody been watching 915's sell lately? I can't find any historical prices on GL or through a Google search. I was just wondering how much money they guy I bought mine from was taking me for......

Regardless it is an awful nice truck for the money, compared to civilian options. And so much cooler looking.

BTW-my first post but I've been lurking a while. The information here has proven invaluable.

Thanks!

Bighurt

Taken is a relative term, I paid 3800 for mine but I think the bill after repairs service and recovery were over 8k, but my recovery was pretty unique.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

I have bought them for between 2800 and 6500. All total I have bought four.
Price is often driven by how many are available at one location and how bad other people want them.
The 400 Cummins mechanical pump engine is getting to be a very sought after re-power item.
You can find a civilian day cab tractor on flea bay for 8k up depending on year but most of them are going to have very high miles on the engine/drive train.
The last one I sold (by mistake) brought me a nice profit since it was the one I got for 2800 bucks. Even after some electrical repairs I made out like a bandit but had "sellers remorse" almost immediately since there have been very few for sale near me since then.
If yours is a low mileage truck in good shape and you paid less than 8k for it you prob did good.

Geneseo1911

Haha-I don't think I want to tell you what I paid for it........

In my defense it is an '11 rebuild with ABS, A/C, air-ride seat, and 1000 miles on the tachograph. Runs like a dream and was last serviced by .mil in 2012.

I haven't seen an automatic civ. tractor that I would even consider looking at for under 40K, and it had a few hundred thousand miles. Even the 10 spds in the price range had 4-500K miles, which is probably about wore out in the daycab world.

We are pulling grain trailers out of fields, so the Detroit locker and walking beam suspension are of great value to us. Along with the super-simplicity and toughness of the truck over-all.

I'm thinking about getting a second one and trying to decide between pursuing one on GL or just buying from the same guy again.

SUPRDUD

There was one super low mileage and minty looking one go for over $23,000 on GL this year if I remember correctly. I know it came to over $25K with fees. They usually don't bring half of that much but the later rebuilds like yours are worth more than the earlier ones. I sure don't watch all of the trucks, just now and then to help keep temptation at bay.

Here are two things to consider. The first is that some value has to be given to the fact that the guy you bought it from took a risk that the truck didn't have hidden problems and may have had some repairs made by him. The second is that if you buy one from GL it may take up to 4 months to get the purchase completed and get a title.

I'm a farmer like you and these make great trucks for pulling out of soft fields and for stop and go driving. I also could not find any domesticated semi tractors with Allisons under $40K and was considering converting a manual truck to an auto.

You do have to have a little sense of humor when using a 915A1 to haul grain to the elevator when other very wealthy guys may have a new truck that is chromed out from end to end. I would rather save some money for other things. I have had a few guys hit me up as to what I paid for my trucks and after I tell them they said "With THESE tires?" and I reply "Yes." They just shake their heads and tell me what a good deal I got. I also joke with them as they complain about not having anywhere to stick a magnetic ticket clip that I can just put it about anywhere in my cab. My friends that have driven my trucks are very impressed with how well the Allison works and how nice the trucks drive.

Geneseo1911

Personally I think these are way more beautiful than a 359 or T800. Well, at least AS beautiful. I can't wait to take the first load to town and see the reactions. Just driving it home from where we unloaded it we got a lot of stares. There are no MV's to speak of in my neighborhood.

The truck I really wanted (had 8 NEW Michelin mud+snow tires) went for over 16K, and all the rest were bought by the guy I bought mine from for 10-11. Made me feel pretty good about the 14,500 I paid, and I was going to pick up another one until he raised his price to 18,500. I don't begrudge the man, though. I can bid on them the same as him, and I am super pleased with the truck he sold me. If they weren't so far away I would've bought one. Transportation costs are a killer and I'm not sure I'm brave enough to attempt the drive.

I was unaware these existed (or this site) until about 2 months ago. Have these trucks come up for auction pretty regularly? Was the super low mileage on the Nellis trucks pretty typical, or out of the ordinary?

SUPRDUD- What tires does your truck have on it? Mine are a little more aggressive than OTR tires, but not a lot. It's a fairly normal 'all-position' tire. I'm trying to decide if I want to put more aggressive drivers on it or just run these. With the locker I think it might be OK in all but the wettest conditions. The truck we are replacing is a single axle with an open diff, so it gets stuck in its own shadow even with aggressive tires. I have no experience with twin screws.

SUPRDUD

"SUPRDUD- What tires does your truck have on it? Mine are a little more aggressive than OTR tires, but not a lot. It's a fairly normal 'all-position' tire. I'm trying to decide if I want to put more aggressive drivers on it or just run these. With the locker I think it might be OK in all but the wettest conditions. The truck we are replacing is a single axle with an open diff, so it gets stuck in its own shadow even with aggressive tires. I have no experience with twin screws.[/QUOTE]

The tires on mine are just straight tread highway tires but had nearly full tread depth. I have not had trouble getting stuck but my next tires will be more aggressive. I do stay out of the mud. At least there are nice pulling points on the front if you do get stuck.

Are you sure that your truck has locking differentials or just the lock for the front to rear power divider? I have read that some 915A1s did have them, but it is rare. The twin screw will be much better than what you had. I pull 36 foot DMF hoppers as I have some tight yards and didn't want to fight very long trailers. They will hold 1,000 bu. of corn pretty easily.

You can always offer to buy another truck at the same price and then wait to see if he will come down. It's easier to come down later than to sell them too cheap too soon.

I don't know if you have read all of the GL list of fees but they do add up fast too. If you could get another truck just as nice and with low mileage close to home it still may not be a bad deal for you.

From my National Guard contacts I thought that the 915A1s were pretty much all sold off but then these really nice recent re-mans have been showing up for sale but who knows how many or when they will be gone too. When I bought my first two there were about 22 on one sale about 3 years ago at one of the closer sale yards. I don't think I have seen one at that location since.

As far as mileage you can never know for sure if it is correct or not as they could have had the odometer replaced at any time. I think that they usually replace or reset it to zero at a depot re-man. In person you can get a better feel for the truck to see if the condition seems to match the mileage. History has taught us that the mileage on the odo is shown and that is all the information that you usually get. Some vehicles may be on the second or third trip around the dial and others may be beat to death in 20K miles..........

Last edited:

m715mike

M915 Closing Auction Prices

I started tracking truck sales prices in June 2014 (an interesting month considering that truck sales came to a halt that month). Since June 2014, I've seen 24 M915's sell on GL with an average closing auction price of $9,633.

The table below summarizes this data.

MonthPriceVehicleLocation
JUN-14$24,388M915A1Fort Riley North, KS
NOV-14$16,750M915A1Nellis AFB, NV
SEP-14$14,000M915A1Indianapolis, IN
SEP-14$13,500M915A1Indianapolis, IN
NOV-14$13,500M915A1Nellis AFB, NV
NOV-14$13,500M915A1Nellis AFB, NV
NOV-14$13,250M915A1Nellis AFB, NV
NOV-14$12,950M915A1Nellis AFB, NV
NOV-14$11,750M915A1Nellis AFB, NV
SEP-14$11,200M915A1Indianapolis, IN
NOV-14$11,100M915A1Nellis AFB, NV
NOV-14$10,050M915A1Nellis AFB, NV
SEP-14$8,200M915A1Fontana, CA
JUN-14$8,200M915A4Kapolei, HI
JUN-14$8,200M915A4Kapolei, HI
SEP-14$7,900M915A4Kapolei, HI
OCT-14$5,150M915Fort Lee, VA
OCT-14$5,150M915Fort Lee, VA
SEP-14$4,850M915Fort Lee, VA
SEP-14$4,300M915Fort Lee, VA
JUN-14$3,800M915A1Barstow, CA
SEP-14$3,600M915Hawthorne, NV
JUN-14$3,100M915A1Barstow, CA
SEP-14$2,800M915A1Fort Dix, NJ
Average$9,633
Count24

Please consider the following:

> These prices are closing auction prices only. They do not include fees, taxes or any other cost incurred by the highest bidder.

> I have simply summarized pricing data. No consideration is given to vehicle condition or optional equipment that can significantly impact closing auction prices.

There is more data in this thread:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?130121-Closing-Auction-Prices-In-Review

If you decide to buy one in Hawaii, let me know. I want in on that recovery!!!!!

Geneseo1911

Mine has a sticker on the door saying "this unit equipped with a detroit 'no-spin' locker" All of the trucks I've seen that are post ~2006 rebuilds (which also got air-ride seat, ABS, and A/C) have the sticker or evidence of it having been there at one time.

According to this chart posted in another thread, all the 915's have a locker in the front drive axle:
915tm.jpg

I actually got my old single axle stuck (empty) in my driveway a couple weeks ago. I used the 915 to pull it out. It spun a rear dual at first, so I engaged the power divider, then it spun one set on each axle, and then the locker kicked in and it bit with 3 and started pulling. I was at a slight angle to the other truck, so eventually it lost traction again, at which point it was spinning all four sets. I was certainly pleased to see everything working the way I would expect it to.

Geneseo1911

Mike that chart is fantastic...thanks for sharing.

I'm going to have to pick up that surplus C130 before I attempt any Aloha State recoveries. I wonder what it actually would cost to have one shipped back. I also wonder what A4's would have brought on the mainland.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks