• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

recentered FMTV's for deuces

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Still in the R&D stage, but hopefully this might turn into something cheaper than the plate route. Under the $200 mark for a converted wheel.

*For off road use only!

Attachments

Reckless

I have a set of FMTVs and would love to get this done to them! How much would it be if I already have the wheels?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I typically prefer duals but I have to say, that's not bad looking at all.

Ford Mechanic

What's the deal with "off road use only"? Just to get you out of the liability? Are they bead locks? Or unsafe for road use? Looks good, wish I had $1200 extra around. Been wanting a rim rim with less backspacing than the original.....Can you run them without flipping the hubs in the rear?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What's the deal with "off road use only"? Just to get you out of the liability? Are they bead locks? Or unsafe for road use? Looks good, wish I had $1200 extra around. Been wanting a rim rim with less backspacing than the original.....Can you run them without flipping the hubs in the rear?

Liability and legality reasons. Any time you "cut up" a wheel, you've voided in essence the "DOT" stamp of approval. Yes they're beadlock. These were only designed for flipped hubs in mind. (To track correctly) It feasibly could be possible to bevel both sides of the plate's lug holes to allow them to be mounted backwards. But your air ports wouldn't face outward.

Ford Mechanic

. These were only designed for flipped hubs in mind. (To track correctly) It feasibly could be possible to bevel both sides of the plate's lug holes to allow them to be mounted backwards. But your air ports wouldn't face outward.
Mine don't track correctly and the air ports on the rear tires are facing in anyway, super singled on origanal rims.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Mine don't track correctly and the air ports on the rear tires are facing in anyway, super singled on origanal rims.
You can still get to the valves with a double headed air tool relatively easy though. These trucks are overbuilt and underused, but running the wheels like that places extra stress upon the wheel bearings.

Ford Mechanic

You can still get to the valves with a double headed air tool relatively easy though. These trucks are overbuilt and underused, but running the wheels like that places extra stress upon the wheel bearings.
Gotcha, When I get some extra $$$ I'll just have to plan on flipping the hubs too. What's the difference between these rims and the HEMMT rims that lots of folks get recentered?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Gotcha, When I get some extra $$$ I'll just have to plan on flipping the hubs too. What's the difference between these rims and the HEMMT rims that lots of folks get recentered?
The backspacing is more than a HEMTT or plated MRAP. These wheels are on a lighter vehicle so they're a bit lighter constructed. But still certainly plenty for a deuce. Well there's that and that these should cost almost the same as a HEMTT wheel runs not converted.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The backspacing is less than a HEMTT or plated MRAP...
I think you meant to say more than ...?
(From the pic I can tell you got 10-1/2" to 10-3/4", there.)

Typically, when using 1/2" center plates mounted inside, the backspace for a recentered HEMTT wheel is 8-1/2"; and for a FMTV wheel = 8-7/8".
Ideally we need little over 8-5/8" BSp for any of these 20x10" wheels, to track exactly the same when mounted reversed - on "non-flipped" rear hubs.

G.

bigbird1

never thought about leaving the lip on the rim, wonder if they build up with dirt and water? I had a local place make my plates and then took a plasma to the lip . I love the trucks with the 395 tires, it makes them stand out .

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
never thought about leaving the lip on the rim, wonder if they build up with dirt and water? I had a local place make my plates and then took a plasma to the lip . I love the trucks with the 395 tires, it makes them stand out .
Are you talking about the lip that the bead actually sits on? I'm not sure why you'd want to remove that. They don't build up.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL... no, I know he means what looks like a "lip" around the custom center plate, after cutting off the ring, containing the original 10 bolt holes.

Nothing to collect much anything, there.... if it was done similar to the drawing below....

G.

Attachments

bigbird1

$T2eC16RHJG8E9nyfnU!qBRNRVt5Crw~~60_3.jpggringeltaube, your pictures shows the part I cut off, but I had a plate built to use the 20 bolts around the outside to mount the plate to the wheel and not a weld on job. my rims looked like these

LOL... no, I know he means what looks like a "lip" around the custom center plate, after cutting off the ring, containing the original 10 bolt holes.

Nothing to collect much anything, there.... if it was done similar to the drawing below....

G.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks