• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recentered PLS Trailer wheels for the deuce

YOUNG GUN

I won a lot of G20's on PLS trailer wheels and decided to recenter them for the deuce.
It works great, but I don't really need them as I just bought new 395's that I'll mount on my A3 wheels. (I want to keep the CTIS)
Is anyone interested in them?
I have a machine and fab shop, so I made plates that bolt on to either side of the PLS wheel depending on what back spacing you prefer.
These centers are a direct bolt on to the existing 10 hole pattern and work flawlessly on the deuce; 1"-14 bolts with lock-nuts worked great, and I think they're bullet proof.
Sorry if this is too sales like, but I'm just checking to see if anyone is interested?
I can post pics later, they worked out quite well.

YOUNG GUN

I don't like posting pictures before all the details are complete... however I guess I should have thought about that before I started this.
These still need to be painted and I think they will look nice.
These are 1/2" Plate (not just A-36 either, even though it would probably be fine), through bolted to the stock wheels with 1"-14 hardware.

The pictured configuration will give you 7" back spacing, but you could get down to 5.5" backspacing by simply flipping the wheel and the plate.

PS: The tire in the picture is a bad one I got in my lot.

Attachments

junker42

I'd like some but

I'd take a set of 6 but not for what your asking on creigslist. I was bidding on these as well. I think the retail prices for these tires and wheels anymore are becomeing outragous almost the cost of my whole truck. I don't meen to pick on you personly I'm talking overall. If people will pay more power to you. I'm new on here but not new to MV's and I don't meen to make waves. Just an opinion but for over 3 grand for a set I'd rather just drive around at 50 mph. Your still making money at $1500 for a set of 6.

YOUNG GUN

I'd take a set of 6 but not for what your asking on creigslist. I was bidding on these as well. I think the retail prices for these tires and wheels anymore are becomeing outragous almost the cost of my whole truck. I don't meen to pick on you personly I'm talking overall. If people will pay more power to you. I'm new on here but not new to MV's and I don't meen to make waves. Just an opinion but for over 3 grand for a set I'd rather just drive around at 50 mph. Your still making money at $1500 for a set of 6.

The price I'm asking is about $100 less than another seller of the same tire and wheel.
Your certainly welcome to make me a reasonable offer, and see where it goes or you can always buy them somewhere else.
I think it's a good value for what it does, and many other people do as well based on the large response I've gotten about them.

BTW: I just paid about $2000 for (4) new 35" Toyo M/T's on my F150.

Last edited:

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the forum. Great first post. ^^

What you are looking at on prices for trucks, tires, and wheels is simple supply and demand.

There are a lot of trucks being sold right now for at or just above scrap price. So the trucks are ~way less money than what they will be later when the supply tapers off.

What is driving what seems like high prices on tires and wheels is demand. Lots of us are willing to pay $3-5000 more to get a truck that looks better and drives faster.

So three years ago I paid Clint about $350 each plus shipping for recentered HEMMT wheels. I thought then and think now that it was a fair price, I gladly paid it and would do so again.

The bid is public record, so it is OK to repeat here that Young Gun paid around $375 for new 395s last week. That is $375 for a tire that wholesale price is about $1350.

So here are some real numbers about what it costs to get recentered wheels and nice big new tires on a deuce.

$375 Recentered HEMMT Wheel
$375 NOS 395 Tire
$12.50 HEMMT Valve Stem
$40 Mounting
---------------
$802.50 each x 6 = $4815

So $3000 for a set of good used tires and wheels looks like a good deal to me and evidently all of the others who are the driving market force behind these prices.

If we didn't have all these trucks so cheap, there would not be such a demand for the big tires and wheels.

I buy parts from guys here on SS all the time. I just paid Popacom $400 plus shipping for a NOS tarp and bows kit for my 923. I hope to **** he made good money off that. I don't care if he ~only paid $100 each or if it was $10. It was a great deal for me and he has to make something for his trouble. If a guy can't do that then all this cool surplus stuff will go to the landfill instead of getting pieced out to those of us who want it but can't drive to Kentucky to inspect and buy a lot of truck covers.

I took the risk to buy a bunch of wheels and tires at Ft Lewis last week. Now I am going to the trouble to get them here. Then I will figure out what I want to use on my trucks and sell the rest. I do hope to make a modest profit off of some of it and I am not going to be bashful about it.

I also told a friend who helps me all the time that he could have anything out of those lots he wants at my hard cost. That's the buddy deal, and he has sure more than earned it. For anyone else, well I am going to try and make a couple of bucks, the same modest profit that I don't begrudge anyone else.

If you think prices are too high. Don't buy.

junker42

Hi Beerslayer, Thanks for your comment. And your right about supply and demand. I certanly don't begruge Young Gun any profits he makes and wish him well( I do like his wheels nice job on the centers)I buy and sell stuff all the time. Probably sour grapes on my part. I've had a few MV's over the years ( my high school rig was a 53 M37 in the 80's). The popularity of MV's because of the low prices on trucks over the last few years is driveing the prices of everything else up. Nothing you can do about it but I feel like I'm being priced out of a hobby I've enjoyed half my life. I also like yellow iron (old Caterpillar crawlers). Scrap prices are destroying the afordability of that hobby to. Just the nature of things I suppose. No hard feeling I hope

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, the supply of really nice Goodyear G177s is really good right now. All these 900 series trucks coming out with almost new 42" radials that will mount right up on your deuce wheels. Why not get a set of those cheap while we are fighting over the 1400 and 1600s for our 5-Tons?

The price I have seen for those is about $150 each. That is really cheap for a nice $5-600 tire and they are only 4" diameter less than the 395s. I will have a couple of sets soon and will put them in the classifieds here before CL.

I think there is still plenty of room in the MV hobby for having fun without spending a lot of money.

junker42

Not a bad idea. I'll think about that. Just want something so I can go to central Oregon camping without winding it to the redline the whole way. Although do like the look of the singles. You said you won one of the tire lots from GL last week. All the singles in the wearhouse looked good lots of tread and most of the 9:00 x 20s looked good to. I was tring for the 11:00 x 20s. I was there last Tursday picking up a M105A2 trailer. I did good on that. 2005 rebulid never used not even a scrach in the bed.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The deuce cruises nicely at 60-65 with 395s. I would expect that you could to pretty much the same with 1100-20s. If you are going to go over the mountains to central Oregon, you are going to need to have the fuel turned up, and to also have a pyrometer to keep from burning up that $600 turbo.

Three years ago, all that could be had was 1100-20 NDTs for a budget price. Now the G177 radials are all over. Bet you would be happy with that.

junker42

Yeah G177 might be a good compramize thanks for the sugestion. Haha I've lost the seals in one turbo already going over Santiam pass but thats another story. I keep a few cores around for rebuild. I hesitate to turn up the fuel as I tend to haul a lot of weight. Routenly haul 3 cords of firewood, gravel, equipment trailer etc. It's a working toy. The dump bed is more of a priority right now thats why I'm looking for budget wheels /tires as they would only be used for plesure type driving otherwise I need the low end gearing of the 9:00 x 20s and I have stacks of those.

YOUNG GUN

Welcome to the forum Junker42.
I don't take comments like that personally, everyone has differences on what they can, will, or want to spend money on, and that's ok it's a free country.
It seems like your saying I'm trying to rip people off, and if that's the case I don't particularly appreciate that, but I'm not going to let that bother me.
I agree with Beerslayer, I don't care whether you paid $10, $20, $800, or you got it for free, if it has significant value to me I don't mind paying for it.
I just paid about $2,700 at GL with taxes and buyers premium for (8) Goodyear MV/T's; they are new never used tires, it was worth it to me, but I'm sure others would say I'm crazy.

Anyways, certainly no hard feelings and welcome to the forum.

junker42

No I'm sorry I was't trying to say you were trying to rip people off. I'm saying the retail price of these wheels/ tires in general especilay on the west coast has got to the point that the benifit/value is simply not worth it to me. Thats just my opinion. Maybe i'm alone on this. Nothing against you. I like the way you did your centers. Simple. I dont know why everybody's welding them. I'll take grade 8 bolts over welds anyday. I saw those Goodyears last week when I was at JBLM they look like new! I'd put those on your personal rig. Good luck sorry if there was a misunderstanding.

YOUNG GUN

No I'm sorry I was't trying to say you were trying to rip people off. I'm saying the retail price of these wheels/ tires in general especilay on the west coast has got to the point that the benifit/value is simply not worth it to me. Thats just my opinion. Maybe i'm alone on this. Nothing against you. I like the way you did your centers. Simple. I dont know why everybody's welding them. I'll take grade 8 bolts over welds anyday. I saw those Goodyears last week when I was at JBLM they look like new! I'd put those on your personal rig. Good luck sorry if there was a misunderstanding.
Agreed, bolted on is much better IMHO.
Yes, they are going on my truck tomorrow morning.
Again, no hard feelings.
Maybe I'll see you some day at a rally:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks