• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recentering rims

DanzboysM1009

I have a 1985 M1009 with the stock steel rims on it and I just like the old original look of my steelies, unfortunately, I hate the narrower look of the rear axle. If there's one thing I'm OCD about it's that. I thought I'd buy a set of 1.5 in spacers and put them on, but when I took it for a test run, one of the lug studs broke off. I used a properly calibrated torque wrench to set everything. When I called the manufacturer he said that no matter what I did because of the raised rim area of the rim that I would continue to pop studs off because of the flex of the steel rim combined with the flat mounting surface of the spacers. I'm looking for a cheap way to get the look I want and one way is to re-center the rims. Does anyone have a set or know where to go near Suffolk, VA to get them re-centered? What other options/ thoughts do you have? I could get a new set of rims with a different offset in the rear, but that would be more expensive than I want to go, plus I lose the stock steelie look. Any help is greatly appreciated.

LCDR Dan

DanzboysM1009

Another thought was to just get wider rims. Here's what I figured so far...

If I go with a 15 x 10 in the rear, what backspace would I run to get it to look right?

If my calculations are correct, I need 1.5 inches on each side. The 15 x 10s are 2in wider per side and the stock backspacing is 4in. If I go with 15 x 10s with 4.5 inch backspacing, I should be about right, correct? Let me know what you think.

LCDR Dan

Mikey90744

wider rim in the back then the front will look as good as 2 different tire sizes, if your ocd about the track youd HATE that one Id think.

I dont know what the rims look like but why not just go buy a 2 new ones for the rear with what ever offset it takes to put the tread where you want it?

and aftermarket steel wheels are like 50 to 75 a wheel as I recall , probably a lot cheaper then welding and balancing an existing whele

DanzboysM1009

That's currently the direction I'm thinking of heading. Just ordering all new rims with the differnet offset/ backspacing for the back. With that being said, if the current rims have a 4in backspacing, if I get rims with 2.5in backspacing that will push them out the 1.5in I need on each side and get the look I need. Now to start looking for some rims.

LCDR Dan

Mikey90744

other thing to think about is GM built these trucks with the front track a little wider for a reason, be it traction offroad (Ive been told that but doubt it) or (more of a consern) turning radius with the front leafs. just be careful if your bringing the front end in