• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recently Purchase M923a1 problem...Big Problem

Jeepsinker

Demean, are you absolutely certain that you clearly heard the GL lady say that she bid on all of the trucks? If so that answers a big suspicion that nobody has been able to prove for a long time.

rory1919

Im baffled that you went after a truck that was listed as "Will Not Start" and expected to drive it home.

I am new to this too but seriously?! I have 3 backup plans for my recovery next week and i have a video of the truck running.

rory

EwaMarine

It would be easy to verify if this broad that works for GL is a rat....Shes scamming it by working there and getting good pre buys on the truck...If she's not buying them, then she might have a shadow partner that is. Here in Hawaii some "lady" bought all the Bulldozers that were at GL....Would be fun to verify and crosscheck who bought those trucks from GL. At least GL could verify...and fire her ass if so...and I dare say void the sale and sue for return?
What do you guys think?

spartan_185

It would be easy to verify if this broad that works for GL is a rat....Shes scamming it by working there and getting good pre buys on the truck...If she's not buying them, then she might have a shadow partner that is. Here in Hawaii some "lady" bought all the Bulldozers that were at GL....Would be fun to verify and crosscheck who bought those trucks from GL. At least GL could verify...and fire her ass if so...and I dare say void the sale and sue for return?
What do you guys think?
Or another scenario is that she was bidding to try and run the prices up and keep them high. Although that is unlikely, it is a possibility. Gl trying to milk the rolling stock for all its worth before Iron Planet gets it.

DeeMan6996

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for their advice they have given me..It's been a slow month but I believe I have figured out everything that is wrong with this beaut... I have gone through the entire fuel system and figured out that the petcock right before the canister was sucking in air.. What a headache. Pressure washed the tank out...Should have taken pictures for all the stuff growing in the tank. So the truck is running right now but not like it should. When you open the radiator cap there is no bubbles in their...crap. Put clean oil in their and its already turning into milk again. Kind of a bummer but this is a good life lesson and I have definitely learned my lesson. Now to what I believe is wrong with it (My diesel Instructor at school agrees with everything i'm about to say) I believe that the O-Rings on the piston liners are leaking and letting coolant go into the crankcase. But It seems like the head gaskets are out as well (Not sure what would have caused all this. Truck only has 324 hours and 11k miles. Guess its been sitting a lot of its life) We are most likely going to replace all the bearings unless some are still good. We won't know everything that could be wrong until we dig. My NHC-250 doesn't smoke black like most people say but If Im in neutral and I rev it white smoke comes out.. Not a ton but Its confusing. Was wondering if this is normal? It sucks but hey It's a good learning experience. I wouldn't trade the truck for anything though. All my friends want to go ride in it or drive in it. (In NW Iowa we don't ever see trucks like mine) It's just going to take time and some money to get it to where it's gonna be one healthy cummins. If you have got any pointers or know what would have caused all this to happen please leave a comment I am puzzled.
Thanks again and God bless!

Jeepsinker

Sometimes after sitting for long periods of time the old antifreeze will go bad and electrolysis will eat pinholes into the liners. Sometimes a liner will crack, sometimes they shatter, sometimes the o-rings leak. Could be any of the above but I'm betting on a pinhole. If antifreeze has met with bearings for any length of time you will be replacing all of them. For some reason antifreeze eats bearings almost on contact.

DeeMan6996

So after another month or so we have dug to the pistons..here comes the great news. We got all the pistons and liners of the block. There weren't any pinholes or anything wrong with the liners besides the rust (Pics Soon). So we diagnosed the problem as the o rings which are shot...Pistons 2-5 look brand freaking new and the block isn't even close to being worn, Straight as a whistle. Pistons 1 and 6 are a different story. 1 and 6 were scored and worn out like none other. The rod that connects the cylinder head and the rod was a blue/black from the heat. (Which diagnoses the knocking sound that we heard when it was idling.

This truck was defintely run by the military while this problem was going on. The cyclinder walls are rusty but nothing major. (Again Pics soon) Some of the rocker arms are a bit rusty but honestly not to bad.

So Everything that needs to be replaced at the moment. 1 and 6 piston heads and rods. Every liner, and New Bearings. Hopefully this will be it but you never know.

I plan on keeping this truck for a while now just because i know whats been wrong and that I can trust the motor for a long time to come.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull, inspect and test your oil cooler. It could have been the issue all along.

DeeMan6996

Parts have now been ordered, which include Gaskets, 1-6 Pistons and rods, Bearings and Liners $2700 bucks later... With these small cam cummins that were discontinued in the 60's it can be a hastle to buy parts, but we made it work. The reason we had to buy all new pistons for 1-6 was because we couldn't find any single pistons for sale that were brand new. We found used ones but I don't want to do a half ash job, that's not how I was raised and it's only going to cause problems later on. Finally have some pics of the torn apart motor with more pictures coming soon of the actual truck itself and the new parts which should be in the shop in a week or so.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks