• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reciever on deuce

snocrazy

This is what I got from Mike @ OD Iron LLC Military Vehicle Parts and Accessories.
I have not had much luck searching the forum. No real solutions from what I have seen. Then again, I am only a couple of hours in... ;)
I think I am leaning towards a big mo fo power converter under the seat. For the brake switch I can use a 24v relay controlling a 12v circuit.

Light is one thing… Braking is another…

The easiest way to do it is to convert the truck to 12V…

Second easiest… Add a 12V system to the truck… (alt, battery, etc) Once you do this you will need to build a switching box using 24V relays to the 12V source to control the lighting and braking.

You can convert the trailer to 24V…

Install surge braking system (hence doing away with the electric) and use dual voltage lighting on the trailer, not cheap ($380)… but they work on both 12 and 24V.

You can TRY a voltage step down, a lot of people will sell them to you for this but it will not handle the amps required and will burn out. (still need the above box)

You can use a step down plus a voltage regulator and add a 12V battery... (above box needed)

You can build a converter box which plugs into the 24v trailer plug, use resistors to step down the voltage to 14 for lighting but not the brakes. They are not very dependable but I have seen it done for short hauls… This will support lighting, but not braking.

No magical solution for this… I have been asked MANY times to build a box to plug into the deuce and run a 5/6/8 12V wire set up… Problem is it’s about a $450 deal and where as 1 or 2 may pay for it… most will not… Why so expensive? Well… If I build a device that stops a vehicle it HAS TO WORK… If it fails I’m getting sued.

All of the above difficulty is why I came up with the magnetic 24V lighting and military to 4 wire plug adapter… Its quick, cheap and easy, it just doesn’t give you braking on large trailers.

All of the above difficulty is why I came up with the magnetic 24V lighting and military to 4 wire plug adapter… Its quick, cheap and easy, it just doesn’t give you braking on large trailers.

Sorry, I know that’s all probably no help but id rather lay it out there for you than BS about it.

Regards,

Mike
ODI

jeli

I was just at the junk yard today. The pickup aisles are littered with receiver hitches laying on the ground or off in the beds of trucks. It would be nothing to get 10 hitches for dirt. Why is it every hobby I have includes heavy objects???!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks