• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recoating Vinyl Trailer Tarps

Hpwr

Was wondering if anyone has ever tried to recoat a Vinyl tarp with a spray on, or roll on product; say a flexible polyurethane product. I would like to try something like this and am looking for guidance. I have thinned some 100% polyurethane trailer caulking (don't remeber the exact brand, it was commercial stuff, but I can find out what it was) with xylene and made it into a roll on product for sealing an aluminum top on and old carge box that I made a storage shed out of. Worked great and stayed flexible; in fact the left over hardened up into a very nice but very pliable / flexible lump just like a rubber ball. I beleive this also might be colorable / tintable. Anyway looking for any ideas (other than what I done) or guidance / suggetions.

Thanks,

Hpwr in Knoxville, TN
1963 M37B1
1968 M101A1

Hpwr

Hello Rosco,

I thinned down till it was paintable by paint brush, applying about a 1/8 to3/16 thick coat (which would I believe be way to thick for the tarps); howeverI think by thinning a little more one could get something that would roll outthinner, possibly 1/16 to 1/32 (say 60 to 30 thousandths). Still not sure aboutadding or changing color; have to do some research. Also not sure about thebonding strength. I have also thinned 100% common poly caulk bought at HomeDepot' but all of this was a few years back. The commercial stuff I mentionedin the 1st post was bought at a trailer (like Great Dane, etc) repair place; Igot a clean 1 quart paint can and squeezed out the whole 14oz tube of caulkinto it and then started adding Xylene till I got it the consistency that Iwanted.

Scratch, regarding removing paint; don't know, one would have to try varioussolvents, Acetone, xylene, etc. , but be very careful as they could impact thevinyl plastic in the tarp and they are all extremely flammable....work outsideonly and try to limit skin contact

Hpwr

Scratch,
I also meant to add in that paint that has cured is not easily removed / desolved as wet or fresh paint; you'll probably find that the vinyl may poosibly soften up quite a bit before the cured paint does; basically I think it might be fairly difficult to remove the paint without impacting the vinyl.

Hpwr

SteveKuhn

It's an intriguing idea. If it works, it could be used to reseal all the little pinholes and such that come with age. The variables I can think of are that vinyl and the caulk might expand and contract at different rates in different temps and peeling could occur. The more the vinyl flexes in wind and the like, the more likely the cracking or peeling. I'd think that the thicker it's applied, the more susceptible it'd be.

If I was trying to tint polyurethane caulk, I'd probably start with a polyurethane paint or compatible pigment to mix in.

Might wanna try finding somebody's cast off cover and doing some experimenting.

Good luck.

Steve

Adrian A

SEM makes vinyl paint. Available at most automotive paint supplies. Color can be made to match. Prep with soap and water. After drying use methyl ethyl ketone as a final wash.

Hpwr

Marcus & others,

Yes elastomeric coatings are what I spent last night investigating, and lookes like one possible solution. BTW the product I mentioned in my first post on this subject was Sikaflex 221 adhesive / sealant (i looked up my info on this last night). While researching Sika's site I ran across their Elastomeric Roof Coverings & similar products and became very intriqued with this as a possible solution. They make a wide selection of these type of products & some have tinting packages for various colors (no green or OD that I identified yet) but planning on calling them and some other manufactuers of these coating and seeing whats available / recommended.

As a side note I also called GMA Covers this morning and they are taking a list of folks that are interested in purchasing 101 covers for an upcomming production run (stated that this would probably be a couple of months down the road) So I put my name on the list; quoted price for a 2510-00-513-9794 (there part # 54243) the plain Green 383 shade cover was not quite $320.00; Camo would be slightly higher; and didn't ask about Tan. There was no mention / discussion of delivery charges, so i assume they will be extra.

Still going to investigate the Elastomeric coverings, and after I get it figured out, I will probably try it out on my old cover....will keep all interested partied informed here.

Hpwr

Hpwr

FYI,

Just found and bought a brand new camo cover from Mark Ficarra of John Johnson Company, http://www.johnjohnsonco.com/, 800-991-1394; price was right @ $240 NOT including shipping; UPS shipable. Very nice guy to deal / work with; he stated thatt they had 2, one of which I bought; so that would mean they have one left.

Hpwr

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks